Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my I6 needs to be rebuilt and I have a semi-fresh 302 just sitting in my other stang (that will not be finished for at least a year), I decided to pull the I6 and replace it with the 302. Last Saturday with Steven (my 15 year old son), we pulled the 302 in the first step of the engine swap.

It was great to have the help and for once not have him act like he was put out to get his hands dirty.

Now I have a lot pf prep work to get everything ready before I pull the I6.

Dad_Son

Engine Bay

BTW: I will be getting rid of all my I6 stuff (real cheap), most of which was rebuilt is less that 2 years ago, if anyone is in the Dallas area and needs anything.

·
Registered
884 Posts
That's how I started. I was 15 years old when my dad decided to buy a 66 mustang ( a little father son project).

It wasn't a blockbuster work partnership at first but over the years I learned a lot about cars and cruising with my dad after tunning the Holley is one of my best childhood memories.

Needless to say I stole the Mustang several times for a cruise without a license (my friends talked me into it....be on the look-out for them!), smashed it up another time and then just about had a drunk driving conviction with it.

But.....my dad never sold the Mustang and our bond is stronger then ever (I'm 35 now). Also, when I got married we drove away in the Mustang. Joanne understands my bond with the car.

I own the Mustang now and I baby it. I call my dad for advice and we share "the Mustang Bond" that goes all the way back to when I was 15. We just droped the transmission last summer. I really like keeping dad involved in the car and he always seems to be just a little more knowledgeable then me about the Mustang.

Anyways, Good luck......I look forward to the same experience with Cameron (my one year old son).

Having a Mustang in the garage when you are 15 is the coolest.....even if he admitts it or not.

Greg.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My bought my 66 I6 a couple of years ago thinking it would be a great father-son project. MY son is now 15, and could care less about the stang -- are routinely reminds me how much he hates old cars. I couldn't even get him to go to the Woodward dream cruise last weekend!

I envy you in many ways. I loved old cars even when I was a kid, I guess you either have the bug or you don't. You can drag a kid to a stang, but you can't make him love it.

My stang is now my sunny day daily driver. My son will get a ricer when he gets a job.... :-(

·
Registered
884 Posts
I guess that could be waiting for me as well (with Cameron).

My neighbour was quite the street warrior. He had a 66 Mustang that he ran 12's at the track and then he owned a 68 Shelby. He loves old Mustangs and really knows his stuff !

His son is not a car person at all and because of that he has never owned a classic since he's been married (20 years?)

All you can do is cross your fingers and prey your kid likes cars.

Greg.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I feel your pain--I have a 15 year old that I bought a 66 coupe as a 14th birthday gift--I should have passed on it but he talked me into it--The first night he slept in the car--So I'm thinking that it's the best 750 bucks I've ever spent--We'll bond and work on the car and when he's 16 he'll be the only kid around with his own car let alone a vintage Mustang!--Since then he's only sat in it and played the radio--He hasn't touched a wrench and I decided to concentrate on my 73 Mach 1 and his will sit until 1). I have time and money or 2).He shows some intrest--I overheard him telling his buddy that he'll be driving that car in a year--NOT!--It's lesson time--Dad is not going to give you a car on your 16th birthday--Unless you start working on it

·
Registered
522 Posts
You reminding me of my son, He is 17 and want to drive only. It's hard to keep him in the garage for more then 1/2 hour. He was a reason why I bought the car.
Hope it will change one day, when he will land on the earth again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts