Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the "Best Little Brewfest in Texas" today, and participated in the car show (car show + brewfest = questionable combination, but everyone seemed to on good behavior).

Anyway, there were about 160 cars there of all types and conditions. I only counted 5 Mustangs- including a really nice Mach 1 that parked next to me (see pic below). Amidst all the usual "Don't Touch" signs, I saw this one that made me smile. While I was snapping a pic, the owner came up and we had a great chat... let's just say I'm reminded how lucky we are to have such easy access to whatever parts we need to restore our Mustangs!

I wish there were more signs like this at car shows (even though I just looked without touching), and btw- the "Analog GPS" mentioned on the sign is a compass mounted to the dash- looked stock!

Anyone else have any funny signs you've seen at shows?

BTW, other than it being incredibly hot and humid, it was one of the funnest shows I've attended! The 3x1 intake is really paying off at the shows this year. People have always had (mostly) nice things to say about our '65, but now it's not uncommon for me to see someone dragging one of their friends over to "check out this guy's cool six" (which always drags me up out of my chair and into a fun conversation). My favorite today (other than the many references to it being a "triple deuce" when it's really a "triple uno") was "So this was how it came from the factory?!?" Luckily I didn't even have to touch that one- some other guy looking at the car started rattling off almost all of the modifications I've done (and I didn't have my sign up- so the guy had a good eye). An older gentleman actually thanked me for keeping the six in the car (apparently his first Mustang was an inline, and he rarely sees them anymore). It was a great afternoon with my son and the car!

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Sounds like a good day.

I just got back from the East Point, Michigan, Gratiot Ave cruise. My wife and I went in our 1966 Ranchero. It was hot. The car behaved.
We had someone pull next to us and say "nice car, you won't see another like it here today". He knew it was a rare car.
If you don't know. Gratiot ave is one of the oldest paved roads in the U.S..

The chief transportation routes in 1701 were the Indian trails that crossed the future state of Michigan; the one connecting what are now Detroit and Port Huron was one of these thirteen trails at the time.
Detroit created 120-foot (37 m) rights-of-way for the principle streets of the city, the modern Gratiot Avenue included, in 1805.
Gratiot Avenue in Detroit was one of the original avenues laid out by Judge Augustus Woodward after the Detroit fire in 1805. It was later used as a supply road for Fort Gratiot in Port Huron under authorization from the US Congress in the 1820s. The roadway was included in the State Trunkline Highway System in 1913 and signposted with a number in 1919. Later, it was used as a segment of US Highway 25 (US 25) before that highway was functionally replaced by Interstate 94 (I-94) in the 1960s. The M-3 designation was applied to the current highway in 1973, and a southern section was reassigned to M-85 in 2001.

Reactions: Varilux

·
Registered
318 Posts
Wished I lived closer so I could have increased the Mustang count. I'd like to meet that guy with the Skylark. We had our monthly Hot Rod Hangout last weekend. Same deal down in my area- I was the only classic Mustang. There was a beautiful '67 Cougar so I think we can count that.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Very cool. If I could muster up the courage to bring my ugly thing to a show, I'd love to put a sign in it like that. Kind of funny about the low mustang turnout, I've noticed the same thing. Seems to be just a couple/few at the shows I've attended this year.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
I have a pic somewhere... but there is a beautifully restored 65/66 mustang locally that goes to most all the shows (I've seen it so many times I kinda walk passed it now) but there is a sign he always puts in the window that says "In loving memory of my money, 2010-2014"

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
This is great. What an awesome, humble person.

I was just telling my wife how stupid the "Look, but don't touch" signs are. Who cares! We don't take these cars with us when we die.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This is great. What an awesome, humble person.

I was just telling my wife how stupid the "Look, but don't touch" signs are. Who cares! We don't take these cars with us when we die.
To be honest I don't like people touching my car. Especially since i am almost through with the bodywork and almost ready to paint. I have about 250-300 hours invested just in bodywork and paint prep (Not panel fitment thats 10 times more). After the hell i have went through sanding and cursing and sanding some more I don't want anyone touching my soon to be fresh paint without my permission. I dont have one of those signs but i can see why people need them. Some people are just plain careless with other peoples property.

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Sounds like a good day.

I just got back from the East Point, Michigan, Gratiot Ave cruise. My wife and I went in our 1966 Ranchero. It was hot. The car behaved.
We had someone pull next to us and say "nice car, you won't see another like it here today". He knew it was a rare car.
If you don't know. Gratiot ave is one of the oldest paved roads in the U.S..

The chief transportation routes in 1701 were the Indian trails that crossed the future state of Michigan; the one connecting what are now Detroit and Port Huron was one of these thirteen trails at the time.
Detroit created 120-foot (37 m) rights-of-way for the principle streets of the city, the modern Gratiot Avenue included, in 1805.
Gratiot Avenue in Detroit was one of the original avenues laid out by Judge Augustus Woodward after the Detroit fire in 1805. It was later used as a supply road for Fort Gratiot in Port Huron under authorization from the US Congress in the 1820s. The roadway was included in the State Trunkline Highway System in 1913 and signposted with a number in 1919. Later, it was used as a segment of US Highway 25 (US 25) before that highway was functionally replaced by Interstate 94 (I-94) in the 1960s. The M-3 designation was applied to the current highway in 1973, and a southern section was reassigned to M-85 in 2001.
And East Point was once East Detroit, no credit given for guessing why they changed it...>:)

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
To be honest I don't like people touching my car. Especially since i am almost through with the bodywork and almost ready to paint. I have about 250-300 hours invested just in bodywork and paint prep (Not panel fitment thats 10 times more). After the hell i have went through sanding and cursing and sanding some more I don't want anyone touching my soon to be fresh paint without my permission. I dont have one of those signs but i can see why people need them. Some people are just plain careless with other peoples property.
Oh sheesh. Get over it. I did all my body work too. We don't need a stupid sign. If something happens, then maybe you shouldn't take your car to a venue where there's hundreds of people that would love to touch and drive your car.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Oh sheesh. Get over it. I did all my body work too. We don't need a stupid sign. If something happens, then maybe you shouldn't take your car to a venue where there's hundreds of people that would love to touch and drive your car.

No maybe you just shouldn't touch my car. Its called a car SHOW. I guess You are one of those that Will go to shows with Giant belt buckles and rub up and down on peoples cars. You must not have very much time or money invested in your car to have that kind of attitude. Maybe you make so much that it doesn't matter if you get scratches or what ever. I would say a lot of car owners prefer people not to touch their car without the owners permission. This is my opinion and my property and that is what i prefer.:wink:

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I am seeing both sides of the argument for the "Do Not Touch" signs. Cars are made to be enjoyed, and the experienced shared.
And most people with those signs are usually very willing to allow you to touch and examine their cars, IF you ask first and are careful and present yourself as honest and responsible.
I have heard more than report of hard-to-find parts disappearing from cars when crowds gathered around cars, interiors marred when someone with a chained wallet or Big Slurpy plopped in the seat. I personally know of one guy that spent time after the show trying to get his car started only to find someone had switched wires around on his distributor.
If I was at a car show and knew that everyone that walked up was like me, a car lover and respecter of other's property, I would love to open the car to everyone to enjoy. Unfortunately, people don't always show signs of their true character.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I guess You are one of those that Will go to shows with Giant belt buckles and rub up and down on peoples cars.
Uh, not really.

You must not have very much time or money invested in your car to have that kind of attitude.
Again, not really. You are horribly inaccurate on this one.

Maybe you make so much that it doesn't matter if you get scratches or what ever.
Definitely not. That's why I call my thread Project Poor Man

I would say a lot of car owners prefer people not to touch their car without the owners permission.
I'm sure that's true, but everyone should all deal with it for the love of the hobby.

This is my opinion and my property and that is what i prefer.
This is true...although, I don't think anyone's work is above all. Sure, we don't want careless people causing damage. If it happens, it happens...Should we go around acting like a curmudgeon, a killjoy and a smug attitude because of the very, very unlikely event that someone is going to spill something on your completely 100% replaceable interior? C'mon, I'm sure you're a better person than that.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Uh, not really.

Again, not really. You are horribly inaccurate on this one.

Definitely not. That's why I call my thread Project Poor Man

I'm sure that's true, but everyone should all deal with it for the love of the hobby.

This is true...although, I don't think anyone's work is above all. Sure, we don't want careless people causing damage. If it happens, it happens...Should we go around acting like a curmudgeon, a killjoy and a smug attitude because of the very, very unlikely event that someone is going to spill something on your completely 100% replaceable interior? C'mon, I'm sure you're a better person than that.
Damage From people happens at every car show. If your calling me a killjoy because i do not like the idea of vandalism or damage to my property then go ahead. Its a free country and your entitled to your opinion and i'm entitled to mine. Just because damage can be fixed doesn't mean it should have happened in the first place. People should show more care around other peoples property. As far as having a smug attitude Your the one that laughs at One of the few defenses that a car owner has to protect his or her car at a show. You seem like a very carefree person and very shocked that someone would be interested in protecting personal property. Your attitude towards other peoples property is disturbing to say the least. Have you ever had a vandal cause Thousands of dollars in damage? I have. It wasn't to my car but on my parents business. Set my family back Financially and almost caused my parents to have a heart attack. There are many effects to damaged property beyond what can be repaired with money and time. Have a good day sir.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Damage From people happens at every car show. If your calling me a killjoy because i do not like the idea of vandalism or damage to my property then go ahead. Its a free country and your entitled to your opinion and i'm entitled to mine. Just because damage can be fixed doesn't mean it should have happened in the first place. People should show more care around other peoples property. As far as having a smug attitude Your the one that laughs at One of the few defenses that a car owner has to protect his or her car at a show. You seem like a very carefree person and very shocked that someone would be interested in protecting personal property. Your attitude towards other peoples property is disturbing to say the least. Have you ever had a vandal cause Thousands of dollars in damage? I have. It wasn't to my car but on my parents business. Set my family back Financially and almost caused my parents to have a heart attack. There are many effects to damaged property beyond what can be repaired with money and time. Have a good day sir.
First thing I thought of after reading this:
https://youtu.be/qc7jblpaPdM

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
My wife is pretty hot... does that mean I shouldn't take her out in public because I should worry about other people wanting to touch her? (which I'm sure they do.)

No, and I expect the same damn courtesy with my cars.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Speaking of great signs.............

........... this is one of the BEST! 2nd pic is of car itself. Look closely under the hood.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 85 Posts