Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the car buttoned back up and running again tonight. It felt very good to drive it again.

I finished the studs and valve adjust last night. After that, I drained the oil and went fishing in it with a magnet - round and round back and forth up and down. Clean. Strained the oil. Clean. Dissected the filter and squeezed the oil out of the paper element and examined. Clean.

I put a bit longer set of ARP studs on it that are for roller rockers. This gives me a bit more thread engagement than I had before. I stuck with the 3/8" studs and rockers since I have $250 or so in to the fancy pants Comp Cams roller jobs. Only the one bad stud had any signs of stress or galling at all. Just a bad stud I guess. I do feel better with the longer ARP set though.

Also - I think that Jess was right about the smoking. The smoking that was seen was because of oil getting sucked back up past the rings on the intake stroke. Since the intake valve was closed something had to give with the vacuum generated. Just like he said it would be, the plug was full of oil.

Anyway - good to be back on the road again.

Thanks for the moral support.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hi Keith,

Glad to hear your rocker arm is again whole. It was a shame to see you go down for the count like that on Pony Trails.

Looks like I may be in Seattle in mid September. Going to my first Mustangs Northwest meeting then.

My mother has got an angle on a real nice 72 convertible. Red with the white and black interior. Car is all original and in good shape. If she buys it I hope we do Pony trails in it next year!

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Glad it didn't turn out more serious....Thumbs up buddy! :: Now get out there and let the wind blow through your...ah.....over your hat! :eek: ::

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I prefer to say "across my head" ::

Drove it to work today. Ahhhh nothing like smelling like ehxaust in the morning!

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
I would have said "Wind in your face" but, I alway get this mental picture of a dog in the back of a pick-up! :p

:: ::

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The top of my head is still my face. I just have an overly large forehead ::

1 - 11 of 11 Posts