Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on a quest. I own a 2014 Mustang, but I really want to try and find my grandmother's 1965 Coupe. What I know about it: it had the 289 engine, beige leather interior with the full console running down the center, automatic transmission and was red. I thought it was rangoon red, because knowing my grandmother, she hated red cars, so she wouldn't have had a bright red car, but the burgundy doesn't look like the right color. I always called it "brick red" but it was somewhere between brick red and the reddish orange of terra cotta planter pots. The last known dealer to have it was when she and my grandfather traded it and their 1974 LTD for a 1976 Mercury Monarch at Coffeyville Motors in Coffeyville, Kansas around 1976. Beyond that, I have no other identification. Any documents that might have had the VIN are long gone.

Does anyone have any ideas where else I could look? I know my chances of finding it without the VIN are virtually impossible, but there's no reason not to try, right?

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Best of luck. Your chances are one in a million of finding this.

"So you're telling me there's a chance?"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's funny that you would reply with, "So you're saying there's a chance?" I was actually going to respond with that...

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
"Beyond that, I have no other identification. Any documents that might have had the VIN are long gone."

Raising the Titanic or locating Jimmy Hoffa Sr. would be easier..

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
That's funny that you would reply with, "So you're saying there's a chance?" I was actually going to respond with that...
I could watch that movie over and over again and still laugh my arse off!

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
Welcome! Where are you located in Ca?

So CA DMV allows you to submit a VIN, for a vehicle you're the current registered owner, and they'll provide a registration history. Not sure if you could request a reverse filing for your grandfather's registration history based on his DL but could be worth a shot.

Best,
Brent

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Welcome! Where are you located in Ca?

So CA DMV allows you to submit a VIN, for a vehicle you're the current registered owner, and they'll provide a registration history. Not sure if you could request a reverse filing for your grandfather's registration history based on his DL but could be worth a shot.

Best,
Brent
Pretty cool. Background check each one and see if they made it big time, ask if they'd like their old car back:) Way # 187 to have a $20K coupe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Raising the Titanic or locating Jimmy Hoffa Sr. would be easier..
Yeah, I know. BUT since the car was first registered in Kansas, and they do vehicle registration by county instead of through a state-level agency, I might have a chance if I can get hold of the county treasurer's office.

·
Registered
671 Posts
ewww gross ... a Californian

Gotta pick on the new guys every now and then. Welcome to this forum

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts