Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine wasn't the first Griffin radiator to arrive from the June Street or Track group purchase, but then I'm on the other side of the country from Griffin. Mine was also customized at the factory using the kkpony mod (thanks, Kent!) to get the radiator pushed forward a little bit. This should allow me enough clearance for the electric fan, but only just barely.

A quick eyeball check looks like it will fit perfectly. I'm going to have to delay the installation until next weekend, though, as I'll be out of town over this weekend.

Here's some pix:

http://www.darkbox.com/mustang/griffin/griffin_iso.jpg

http://www.darkbox.com/mustang/griffin/griffin_side.jpg

http://www.darkbox.com/mustang/griffin/griffin_front.jpg

It's hard to tell from the picture, but the mounting flange is pushed backward from it's usual spot, and at an angle. Again, Kent gets all the credit for figuring out how to wedge one of these puppies and an electric fan into the engine compartment.

And of course a big thanks to Bill and Shaun for putting the group purchase together. Shaun even volunteered to come over and help me install it -- that's a level of service that you don't even get from Summit or M+. :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure I understand the concept of having the radiator angled
As near as I can tell, there's a bit more room to move at the top than there is at the bottom. Rather than move the rad forward uniformly by only maybe 1/2", tipping it forward gives just a bit more room for the fan.

I especially like that this unit was made this way from the start, and didn't have to have the original flange removed.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
oooooohhhhhh, ahhhhhhhhh! She is a 'bute. Is there a part number for the exact style and location of those tabs? Do you have the description of what you sent to them? I was going to order one for the group buy but didn't have the $ at the time, I do now so I would like to get one.
Can you email me [email protected]
Thanks

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a part number for the exact style and location of those tabs? Do you have the description of what you sent to them?
As far as I know, there is no part number for this. I just happen to have a PDF file with a rough drawing (I drew it myself, don't laugh) of the mod. Shaun faxed this (I believe) to Griffin, and they rendered it exactly to spec.

You might want to wait until I get this installed, though -- I'd hate for anyone to get burned if my dimensions weren't quite right.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Did your radiator cost any more having the custom tabs? I also like having them relocated by Griffin, as it wouldn't mess with the warranty.

You could have had the tabs go straight, not that it matters (the reason I was asking about the angle), as there's just as much room at the bottom as at the top. What I did with mine is to bend one of the mounting tabs 90 degrees then mount it with spacers on one side (the tab is on the grill side of the radiator support) and L brackets on the other side. Your's and Kent's way is a cleaner, easier install.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did your radiator cost any more having the custom tabs?
IIRC, the relocation of the tabs was free. Since each unit is built to order anyway, it looks like there was minimal extra work -- I can see where the builder put a couple of sharpie pen marks on the side at the dimensions I specified, and then welded the bracket in place between the two offset marks.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Quick question...Is there any modifications needed in order to install a Griffin? I'm guessing tehy're bigger than a stock radiator, so will it fit just like that? Thanks

·
Vendor
5,289 Posts
ZERO modifications are required. These are DIRECT bolt in radiators.

They come in 2 flavors, standard will cool up to 400Hp, heavy duty will cool up to 600Hp. Both are direct replacements for stock.

Let me know if you have any further questions. You can reach me at [email protected]

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hi,

I'm also still waiting for mine. Do you know if you were part of the "first six" to order in the June group buy?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts