Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn't the best picture but does anyone know where you can get this type of material to make a grill, no one seems to make one so I figure I'll make one but I'm not sure where to source that honeycomb stuff. If anyone has ideas I would appreciate it! Thanks.

Shawn

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
That would be carbon fiber. It costs a fortune. You'd be better off to get a grille you like and have it hydro dipped to look like carbon fiber.

Never mind. Looked at the picture again and saw the small section of grille in the corner.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely not a stock grill, I still have the stock style grill hanging in my garage and this one is way more in depth and smaller sections than that one.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
++ McMaster Carr.

P

·
0 Posts
First, and foremost, it's a grille. Second . we are talKING about the grille in front of the radiator that can barely be seen in your picture? The honeycomb look is like OEM, but it might be more 3D than stock? I know there are companies that make all kinds of different grilles for cars, Mustangs included. I'm sure someone here will have a place, as i's a custom item for sure.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol, my bad, grille :) The McMaster stuff looks exactly like what I need, I'll try that first. It is definitely custom as will mine, I'll weld up a frame to match the existing size and function and try to wrap that stuff around it nicely, hopefully it has good rigidity. I've seen some stuff like that at hardware stores but it's always very flimsy. Thanks.

P

·
0 Posts
It is called perforated steel. There is expanded and perforated. But that design must come from a stamp, so it is perforated . . if you are looking for bulk sheets.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
If you know a shop with a laser cutter they could program it and make one. A Weidematic press could be used with repetarive hex punching. Again, know some one with a programable sheet metal punch?
McMaster has punched sheet steel in sheets on line cat.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I made my from stuff I bought on ebay. Can try and find you a link if you like.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I found the stuff, just waiting for it to come in, I'll show a pic when I'm done. I'm welding up a frame now and will hopefully be done soon. I currently have the horizontal slat style and like it but if I don't change something every now and then I go crazy :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts