Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Grille Moldings on my 66 were pretty shabby so I bought new Scott Drake replacements. Through my own ineptitude, I dented both of the new ones when I installed the spring loaded hold down into their openings in the car. Of course, I couldn't stand the resulting dents so I developed a more fool proof way to install the next set. The steps I used are listed numerically below with photos attached:

1. Obtain thin sheet aluminum and cut it into squares that will fit behind the moldings before the clips are installed.
2. Wrap the arms of the clips with thin strips of duct tape keep them from twisting.
3. Install thin aluminum squares in the exact location the clips will placed on the molding and secure them with strips of duct tape.
4. Slide the clips into the correct location for insertion into their openings on the car.
5. Pop the moldings into place and install the top screws.
6. Install the molding center piece using the old nut.
. Molding Reinforcements.jpg Molding Squares Installed.jpg Molding Clips.jpg Molding Clips Installed.jpg

·
Registered
771 Posts
I dented my Scott Drake grille moldings by looking at them. I ended up using my scuffed, scratched originals again.
Have to agree the Drake ones are pretty flimsy. I managed to get mine installed without denting them but no way the clips would have fit in with aluminum behind them and tape unless I bent the channel first.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have to agree the Drake ones are pretty flimsy. I managed to get mine installed without denting them but no way the clips would have fit in with aluminum behind them and tape unless I bent the channel first.
That's interesting, on mine the channels were quite large and made the clips fit so loosely they wouldn't stay in place during assembly.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
That's interesting, on mine the channels were quite large and made the clips fit so loosely they wouldn't stay in place during assembly.
I remember that, too. I would put the clips in place, and then they would slide out if I moved the molding in a vertical position. That was right before I put them in the recycle container. They're probably out in the world someplace as a beer can now...same thickness. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts