Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have seen a couple early Mustangs with the vertical brace rivets natural. Seems like they would be, laboriously painted the heads on the ones in my 65 GT. I had taken it apart and redid the grille and black braces. Even filled in the heads of the pop rivets to make them look orig. Do I detect a bit of "craziness" here? :: A friend here, with two 67's has done the same. But in many pics they are grille color. 65 and 67 have a blue color and they would. 66 has the large domed ones and they are black. In an older issue of MMonthly there is a pic of Ken Crow's (was an MCA judge)68 CJ fastback and his has natural rivets. OK, Charles, Jeff, Laurie, anyone, what's the deal?? Am detailing the grill on my 68 cv and it came out of a Sport Sprint-not orig to this car. Don't think I'm going to "naturalize" the rivets but WOULD like to know. ::

·
Registered
406 Posts
The 67 & 68 grille rivets were natural steel (yes, steel rivets). I have seen a few original grilles where the rivets appear to have a black tint, somewhat oxidized appearance.

I have never deducted any points for this, although I have commented to several owners who are interested in taking their Mustangs to a higher level of restoration.

Regards,

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Kinda figured they be natural. A good trick to paint them is to take about a 25 cal casing and use it to punch a few holes in masking tape, using a wood block as background. The resulting holes in tape will be about right to paint the rivet and cover the surrounding area.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts