Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I pulled my 67 out of the garage to do a parts run tonight. When I put in reverse I heard a grinding noise. I thought maybe u joint was bad, but still heard the grinding when stopped. I blocked the rear wheel and put it in reverse. Drive shaft not moving but still grinding noise. Car has C4 and 8" limited slip. Any ideas? Thanks, Rich

·
Registered
20,321 Posts
We’ll reverse doesn’t have a synchronizer for one thing so you can get some grinding. The other your clutch may be dragging, meaning not fully disengaging due to adjustment, wear or sticking

·
Premium Member
10,033 Posts
Since the OP states that "car has C4" I don't think it's a synchronizer or clutch problem.

Is the starter completely disengaging from the flexplate after the engine starts?

·
Registered
588 Posts
We’ll reverse doesn’t have a synchronizer for one thing so you can get some grinding. The other your clutch may be dragging, meaning not fully disengaging due to adjustment, wear or sticking
I'm pretty sure that a C4 has no clutch as well. Dave R.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like it's coming from the rear of the car. But since driveshaft isn't moving I'm stumped. I'll put is up on jack stands this weekend.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
It sounds like it's coming from the rear of the car. But since driveshaft isn't moving I'm stumped. I'll put is up on jack stands this weekend.
Sound can bounce around off the underbody. Probably coming from the rear of the C4.

Paul

·
Registered
588 Posts
The noise can't originate in the rear end if the noise is present without the driveshaft turning. I'm not a trans guru but does the noise go away in neutral and drive? Noisy in reverse only? Cross member bolts loose? Flexplate bolts? Just spitballing here. Dave R.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Transmission fluid

Hey Guys,

I pulled my 67 out of the garage to do a parts run tonight. When I put in reverse I heard a grinding noise. I thought maybe u joint was bad, but still heard the grinding when stopped. I blocked the rear wheel and put it in reverse. Drive shaft not moving but still grinding noise. Car has C4 and 8" limited slip. Any ideas? Thanks, Rich
I had a 68 Mustang with a C4 and I remember the tranny making a ratchety grind noise the first time that I would put it into gear or reverse while the car was in park. It ended up being low on tranny fluid. You probably already checked the fluid, but worth mentioning.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm hoping low fluid is the issue. I do have a persistent pan leak. I ordered a new pan and will install it this weekend. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts