Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to solve this problem since I bought my 66 coupe in January. When going over speed bumps, making tight turns (mostly during left turns), or when coming down off a lift, there is a very loud groaning sound that comes from the front end. I've had two mechanics look at it who were not able to find the source of the noise. They checked all bushings, did a complete lube, but still no joy. They also said that the shocks and springs were in good shape.

When my buddy was pushing up and down on the bumper, I could feel a strong vibration when I put my hands on the shock towers. It's not a high-pitched squeal, but a rather low-frequency groan. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
upper control arms are the first thing I would check. They have a history of problems and typically are not able to be lubricated. Replacing the pivoting assembly with something like a Moog part will allow for future lubrication. It's also a good time to then check the condition of the spring perch and the ball joint. These aren't expensive parts but can make a huge difference if how the car drives/sounds. This work would require the removal of the springs which should be done carefully. (think kinetic potential!)
russ

·
Registered
18 Posts
Upper control arms are the most likely cause, replace the pivoting assemble and make sure the grease zerts are in the proper position.

·
Registered
35,825 Posts
Yeah, that UCA groan was practically standard equipment.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
UCA. They come in two flavors - recently replaced or worn out.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Oddly, on my '65 vert, the groan became a squeak and turned out to be an upper ball joint. I had some new Moogs laying around that I bought 10 years ago, put 'em in and end of problem. To diagnose, I moved my hand from part to part while someone bounced the front for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts