Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've done a search and couldn't find an answer to this question. i understand that if you are painting a whole car, you can ground it with a chain over the axle to discharge static electricity. i am painting fenders, hood, etc away from the car. my question: if i use a magnet to attach a grounding wire, will it affect the discharge of static electricity......i hate wet-sanding bugs and dust!
thanks,
bob

·
Registered
404 Posts
Clamp your ground onto a bolt on the panel. (all panels have a bolt hole somewhere)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the idea, but that's my original problem.....i'm painting the inside of the trunk lid and the outer surface is smooth.
bob

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
duhhhh, i can use the lockset hole. thanks, just needed a little prompting.
bob

·
Registered
900 Posts
From reading the Autobodystore.com forum for quite some time, in preparation for painting my '66, I recall that Len Stuart, the pro painter and webmaster said that he found very little value, if any, in "grounding" for purposes of painting. Some things are just over-rated.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, so much for a good thought......i guess my idea of blowing up a bunch of balloons, rubbing them against the cat to create static, then hanging them around my paint area to "attract" the dust, isn't a great idea either. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
bob

·
Registered
404 Posts
I really don't see your problem, but...

Back the bolt out that you are using for a ground and tighten it in when after it is dry.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The main reason I ground it because airborne solvents and static electricity are a bad mix......

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for that info....i'll continue to ground even if it doesn't help the dust.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I've tried that before with no improvement. Wet the floor. Where most of the trash comes from in a paint job is the air... Think about it for a minute. Your spray gun is blowing air onto your car. So this means that the air around your gun is being sucked up & onto the car also. (Just like drafting in racing). Trash comes off your clothes, the air line & even your gun. Also use static free tack rags right before you spray.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts