Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 79 lincoln continental with a 400 and c6. The transmission growls when its cold, when you shift from park to reverse, or from reverse to drive. anyone know whats causing this? is the trans about to fail?? Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Couple questions...

Does the noise go away when everything is warmed up?

Does it make any noise when idling in park or neutral?

Any other operational issues to note?

How does the fluid look and is it at the correct hot-running-park level?

Sometimes, in older trannies, you'll get growling noises from the converter or pump; occasionally from the forward clutch/reverse-high clutch frictions.
Sometimes, too, worn engine/trans mounts can impart some funny noises which may seem like they're coming from elsewhere but this shouldn't be temperature or gear dependent..
Lastly, if you're getting some shuddering going into gear, the clutch seals might be a bit worn and aren't sealing well when cold, preventing deliberate engagement.

If the fluid looks OK and the trans operates fine otherwise, I would tend not to be concerned...just make a mental note of the condition and be aware of any changes which might occur in the future.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it does it in neutral also...briefly for reverse when switching from either park to reverse or neutral to reverse, also from neutral to drive... if it isn't anything serious i'm not going to sweat it. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
It could be something as simple as normal wear (lash) in the pump gears or in the sprag clutch (stator one-way clutch) in the converter...

I think I've heard the noise you speak of in old Ford products (and other cars) over the years...I especially remember it in big cars, like Lincolns, Galaxies, etc..

Maybe it's just part of growing old...yes?? *G*

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
certainly hope so, b/c i don't want it to fail at the wrong moment its my DD until i get either my truck fixed or get a lil dinky 4cyl to replace the truck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts