Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting the AOD in this weekend. Is anyone running AOD with GT-40Ps and power steering? I was told the AOD is too wide to run with the P specific headers. I can get the Ps for $400 and the Edelbrock aluminum 60329s for $1020, so I'd like to go with the P's. Suggestions?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I don't know why the AOD would be too wide, myself. the bell housing size is the same as the C4 or C6 or it wouldn't bolt to the back of the block. The WIDE part is the body itself. Unless the P specific headers make some strange bends around the bell housing, I would think they'd be fine.

I would be remiss, though, in not adding that I have no personal experience with the 40P heads, so it's entirely possible that I don't know what I'm talking about ::. I have an AOD in my '66, though, behind my 299 w/351W heads. I'm using Flow Tech Terminator headers. The fit with these headers was very tight, both at the steering gear box and with the collector flange and the tranny pan (which could be where the P specific headers may have their problem as I think about it).

I only had a problem on the driver's side, where the collector flange had about 1/16" clearance from the pan. I ground the flange about 1/8" inch, and then position the flange so the ground side is towards the tranny pan before I bolt the head pipe to it, and now have plenty of clearance.

·
Registered
192 Posts
don't the p heads come on the explorers?if so they come with a 4r70w trans which is an eletronic aod.
matt :)

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Yeah, but they dont come with headers, and they have much more room then a mustang engine compartment....

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just spoke with CCM and they confirm that there is no header option for this combination...looks like it's Edelbrock heads now :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts