Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the in the process of restoring a second owner '66 convertible (6F08A110326--- body 76C, color T, trim 35, date 06D, DSO 63, axl 1, trans 5). I know the original owner, so I am fairly certain the options it has are original. It does have the handling package (sway bar, gt ratio steering), dual exhaust, gt light bar, ralleye pack. But, it does not have the gt stripes or deluxe interior because of the bench seat. It also has a white top. Correct me if I'm wrong, but candyapple gt convertibles would have had black stripes and a black top right? Was it possible to get those gt options on a non gt car? The gas cap is missing. I would like to get rid of the ugly chrome along the rockers (they have to be replaced anyway), but I don't want to pass it off as something it wasn't either.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
I don't think you have told us enough to determine whether it is a gt or not. Rocker mouldings did not come on the gt but could have been added. Rocker stripes could have not been added back on after a repaint. Bench seat is unusual but does not mean it is not a gt. Lack of pony interior does not mean it is not a GT. White top is okay but could have been changed from/to white or black over the years. Other stuff you mention could have been added.

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible
MCA #27261
MCA certified judge for 65's and late models

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Charles Turner is the person to talk to, but from what I know the options your car has could be ordered or installed at the dealer without the GT Package. Do you have the quarter panel ornaments in addition to the rocker moldings? What does the original owner say about the option list when the car was originally purchased?

Jason
Formerly Bluestangcom
"Got gas?"
Vintage Burgundy'66 Conv. 289 & C4. GT-ized
Strawberry/Silver '91GT
Rust/Red/Turquoise '67 coupe - Parting Out
Guards Red 2000 Porsche Boxster

http://www.bluestang.com

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does not have the quarter panel ornaments. It does not have filled in holes in the quarters either, which is a little strange. The original owner says nothing has been changed. It was ordered by his father. Then he went to Europe for the military in the early '70s and never drove it again (decided to let it rust away instead).

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Kind of a stupid question on my part since you could order a c-stripe which would delete the ornament, but still could include the rocker moldings. I would guess that your car is a well optioned Non-GT, but that's just a guess. Is there any evidence of filled holes in the lower rear section of the front fenders for the metal "MUSTANG" letters which were installed on GT's? What kind of holes fdo the fog light harnesses run through at the radiator support, they should be stamped and I believe 5/8", but again I think it was possible to order the fog lights on a non-GT car from the factory. Either way it sounds like a nice car. I have an article somewhere on how to identify a GT, I'll find it and send it to you if you like.

Jason
Formerly Bluestangcom
"Got gas?"
Vintage Burgundy'66 Conv. 289 & C4. GT-ized
Strawberry/Silver '91GT
Rust/Red/Turquoise '67 coupe - Parting Out
Guards Red 2000 Porsche Boxster

http://www.bluestang.com

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Probably the surest way to tell if a '66 A Code is a true factory GT, is to inspect under the car. Look at the rear seat pan area. The factory used 'doublers' for the dual exhaust that are welded to the insides of the rear seat pans, to beef up that area to take the stress of the muffler hangers. From under the car, you should be able to see several factory spot welds, confirming the doublers are there. These doublers also included brackets that had two mount bolts which extended through the seat pans and the muffler hangers were attached to them.
Another piece of evidence would be the location of the bracket which supports the rear brake hard line, at the point where the flexible line going to the rearend connects to the hard line. This bracket on factory dual exhaust cars is in a slightly different location, to provide left side tail pipe clearance. Red cars could be either black or white GT stripes/tops. The was also a stripe delete option. Maybe that is what the original owner decided on. GT options could be dealer installed or ordered accross the counter, but that doesn't make the car a true GT.

65 Hi-Po F/B (7 yr resto)
67 GTA F/B (small block) Mustang Owners Club of Austin (MOCA), TX
MCA 27479
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575609&a=11978710&p=43914197.jpg<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by charlie65_67 on 03/20/01 07:25 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts