Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Charles you previously mentioned that some of the early
GT mustangs had one punched hole for the fog light wiring and not two. Where did you get this info from? Anything in writing? I purchased my GT and have talked with the original owner to verify it as being a factory GT but have always been perplexed as to why it only as one factory punched hole (passanger side) and not two. Thought you could add some light to the subject. Any other GT owners have a car like this? The car was built in March. Thanks RB

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have a 1966 GT coupe, Sept build in San Jose. One hole for fog light wiring, drivers side. Passenger side goes thru the vertical slots in the radiator support.

There is also 66 GT vert in the area that is a one family car with all the original paperwork verifying the car was ordered as a GT and it only has one hole on the passenger side.

Never know what you will find regarding the finer details. I think a lot of these smaller things vary due to assembly line issues. There probably is not a definite answer for a lot of this stuff only clues and circumstantial evidence. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
To further cloud that issue...my paperwork verified GT vert that was built Sept. 15, 1965 in San Jose has two punched holes as evidenced by the ever so slight flat in the holes (like a little D flat) clearly showing they were punched and not drilled. Go figure! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
0 Posts
My 65K GT convert has a build date of may ,and it only has the one stamped out hole on the
pass side of the core support[like shaneman said].
the driver side goes thru where the headlight wiring is and comes thru the hole in the front inner
fender panel,it has a large plastic ring around it
an interesting note: is my fog light switch is on the lower part of the dash[on the bottem lip]
not next to the power top switch,like most GT convertibles

Dave
`to many cars to list`

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very Interesting. So the year or even that it is an early GT may not have anything to do with the factory punching one hole and not two. I wonder who decided if it was going to be on the passanger or driver side. Maybe Fridays it was right and Mondays left! RB

G

·
0 Posts
Shanman,where does the line form for engine work?
heck I`ll even spring for the beer if you do a nice job

Have fun, Dave

G

·
0 Posts
Mondays most guys had hang overs,fridays evey one wante to leave early[or had a 2 hour lunch]
In the end,it just depended on the plant,the shift,and the person.
Dave

G

·
0 Posts
I only remember seeing one hole stamped on early Metuchen cars(Feb-April). I can't speak for the other plants. Also, I have never heard of or seen a factory 66 GT with just one hole. I suppose it is possible, but would be very rare.

My 65 GT convertible, Dearborn built, 24th of May sch build date has the fog light switch hole in the normal location, it is NOT "D" shape either. (BTW, this car has 2 holes in the radiator support for fog light wiring.)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
FIRST we negotiate the kind of beer.....THEN we talk about the engine! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Charles,
what do you mean by D shaped hole for the fog light switch? mine is under the dash @ is by the edge.
is it poss it wasent mounted correctly?
my uncle was the orig owner of mine and im pretty sure he never modified it
my car is an San Jose built car[5R08K]

Dave

·
Registered
91 Posts
Dave-
Usually the hole in the lower dash for the foglight switch was D-shaped. I believe the threaded shaft for the switch has one flat side. The D-shaped hole would keep the switch from turning in the socket as the nut is tightened. My San Jose '66, which I believe is a factory GT, has a round hole.

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Charles, I'm confused by your statement:

I only remember seeing one hole stamped on early Metuchen cars(Feb-April). I can't speak for the other plants. Also, I have never heard of or seen a factory 66 GT with just one hole.

Since no GT cars had factory foglamps, isn't your statement contradictory? What am I missing?

G

·
0 Posts
since no GT's had factory fog lights???????????

all factory GT's came (or were supposed to come) with fog lights. what's contradictory about that?

we're talking about the holes in the radiator support for the fog light wiring to run through.

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Oh man! I'm sorry...that's not what I meant. Let me try again.

Since non-GT cars didn't come from the factory with foglamps, and all GT cars did, and all GT cars had two holes punched in the radiator support, how is it that you've seen a car with only one? Was it or was it not a GT?

Humble apologies...

·
Registered
884 Posts
Here is my take. When a car body was coming into position to have the radiator support added, a punched GT support was put in place. But, when no Punched support was available a regular support was put in. When the holes were added, it was easier to drill one hole instead of two depending on how you felt at the time. The one hole GT that I have had the pleasure of seeing, Had a drilled hole. The owner of the car was original.
I think the same things took place with the dash.

ON my GT (Verified) The radiator support is punched with two holes, but the dash hole is round.It could be either way. So I don't think any argument one way or another has a leg to stand on.

G

·
0 Posts
I don't understand what you're trying to say. The FACT of the matter is that the first early Metuchen GT's (feb-april '65) had only one hole punched in the radiator support for the fog light wiring. It makes no use to rationalize the reasoning behind it, I've seen numerous examples of original cars to base my claim.

While some people seem to believe the D shape foglight switch hole is the end all to verifying a GT, it is NOT.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is why I love this forum! So it is safe to say that some early GT Dearborn (F) cars had the one hole punched as well. My K GT was built there. Thanks for the great respone. RB

G

·
0 Posts
Ken,well i just had to find out about the hole for the switch,so i took it out last night
and sure enough its D shaped like you said.
i saw the pic of C.turner Gt convert and my switch is straight down from where his is on his car.
in fact,sitting in the car you can hardly see the knob,its like right above my knee[or shin]
is this the norm for Gt`s around this time?
Dave

1 - 20 of 26 Posts