Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying a '68 fastback that the seller claims is a GT. The VIN backs this up, but since it's missing all of it's trim, I was wondered if anyone out there could advise this prospective buyer on how to positively verify it's GT status besides the VIN or data plate. Are there unique properties to the frame or suspension for example, exclusive to a GT that would not appear on a standard fastback?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
They did come with stiffer springs and shocks, a heavier front stabilizer bar besides the obvious such as the fog lamps, flip-lid gas cap dual exhausts with the niches in the rear valance. I've seen GTs with and without the front bumper guards, mine doesn't have them.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's all true and good information, unfortunately either these things you've listed are missing or don't jive. The VIN says it's a GT by as "S" in the engine code space (5th character in the VIN) and it does have a 390 cid, but the gas cap is standard. The grill is incomplete. I would simply purchase these items when I rebuild it, but I only want to rebuild it as a GT if it is in fact a GT. I did notice what look to be reinforcements on the lower half of the shock tower that I don't recall on a prior non-GT I owned. This is the kind of proof I'm in search of that could not simply be installed by someone looking to make a regular fastback a GT fastback.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by linusloring on 03/26/01 10:57 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Have Kevin Marti get you the Ford info report on your car.

Having an "S" code only means it has a 390 and does not mean it is a GT.

Unfortunately, the only way to prove your car was a GT is to have oringinal documentation, have Kevin Marti provide it or have a buck tag that shows it.

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible
MCA #27261
MCA certified judge for 65's and late models

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Up until December of the production year 390s and 427s were optional on non-GTs. After that the 427 was dropped and 390s only came on GTs. So it's possible to have a non-GT 390 68.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I can settle that detail by determining the build date. Thanks. Other than the engine, are you aware of any fool proof identifiers other than trim exclusive to a GT ?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like the only thing left...
A non-GT 390 would have a bar that's 3/4" in thickness, a GT bar would be 7/8ths" Spring rates are different too but there's no visual way of telling since they're all four leafed.
Good luck and let us know.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That sounds like as good a test as any. Thanks to all for your input.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
I didn't know that...thanks

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible
MCA #27261
MCA certified judge for 65's and late models

1 - 9 of 9 Posts