Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is the GT affixed to the gas cap?

I have a gt 350 medallion that came with the new to me mustang that is a stick on item. It requires the GT to be removed from the gas cap to stick it on though....is the GT glued on a little prying will pop it off....or it part of a larger insert that is somehow riveted on to the rest of the assembly?

·
Registered
638 Posts
My GT cap has pressed on retaining clips that just use tension to hold them in place. I dn't believe that any were fastened with screws or rivets, so you can probably remove by prying. Maybe someone else can attest to this as well.

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
The original GT emblem was spin-peened from the back, kinda like mashing the pin into a mushroom.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Nick, if you have a nice original GT cap, consider buying a Drake re-pop for your stick on......or not.

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
Nick, if you have a nice original GT cap, consider buying a Drake re-pop for your stick on......or not.
Ah yeah, you can get a repro cap with no medallion, nothing to remove, so you can just pop your nameplate right on.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is an interesting thought....I do have a 67 with a pop open that looks a little tired...and the one on this 68 appears almost brand spanking new......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts