Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a GT Mustang? How is it different from a 2 + 2?

What did Carrol Shelby do to his line of Mustangs? I want a Shelby 500 but am afraid of the rarity of those cars (price of the car and parts). Am I right in assuming those cars are for the "serious" collector only?

I read about GT "clones" and wonder if they can really be considered GT's after all the GT parts are installed. Is their value tied to originality or the finished product?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Monkeyboy -Without going into too much detail, a 1965 Mustang GT could have been any of the 3 body styles (including 2+2 or "fastback" as they are more commonly called).

It was essentially an appearance and performance package that could be ordered begining in April of 1965. It included.

A-code challenger 289 or K-code Hi Performance 289 V8s
Disc brakes (manual only)
Dual Exhaust with special louvered "trumpet" tips that exit thru the rear valance
Handling suspension package
Quarter ornament (fake scoop on flank) and rocker molding delete
GT side stripes
Grille-mounted fog lamps

Shelby took K-code (hi-performance 289) 65 fastbacks and modified the engine, suspension and tires to an even higher standard. Carroll Shelby himself (thru his company, Shelby American) modified fastback Mustangs from 1965 thru 1967 and these cars, as you guessed, are quite rare and very expensive. They are very close to race cars that were licensable as a street car - especially the 65s.

Just about all of the special equipment Shelby added to these cars is being reproduced today and many people take garden-variety Mustang fastbackss and modify them to look and perform like an early Shelby GT350. These are called "clones".

In 1968 Ford assumed responsibility for production of Shelby Mustangs and expanded the lineup to include convertible. With each successive year, the cars moved further away from their racing heritage. The last year Ford built Shelby Mustangs was 1970, and those were actually leftover 1969 models.

The GT500s were 428 police interceptor powered 67 (first year) Mustangs modified by Shelby. Due in part to the movie "Gone in 60 Seconds", these cars have become wildly popular and even more valuable than they were. They are not affordable for most of us.

Hope that answers your questions.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, info man. You sure seem to know a lot about these cars and I appreciate the fact that you're not afraid to share it!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Monkeyboy, don't be afraid of rarity embrace it. I could never understand anyone with the idea "it's too rare to drive" Fudge, I drive my 68 KR Shelby to work daily, short of a few carb problems, it's great. If I wreck it, I'll fix it. It's not going in the barn to get polished. Price, you can still buy Shelbys in the high teens and low twenties if you look, tht's not that much today...just wait until later ....get one now

1 - 4 of 4 Posts