Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend took his FB to the muffler shop with some Flo's for installation and asked the guy to out them on and run the exhaust out the valance.

Several hours later the muffler guy called and said that he would have to put an X-pipe on it to make it work and that the only exhaust the would fit out the Valance would choke aff the mufflers.

Could this be true?

G

·
0 Posts
Well,
just my thoughts, whats the X pipe have to do with
the routing of the tail pipes? the Xpipe goes before the mufflers
what size pipe is he useing??
Dave

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Muffler guy said he could go no larger than 2 1/4.

·
Registered
477 Posts
On my 66 coupe I have 2.5" all mandrel bends from the mufflers, over the axle, and out the valance. It is a tight fit but the right people can do the job.

I don't understand why "he would have to put an X-pipe on it to make it work". What were his reasons?

http://home.earthlink.net/~hjnsn/rrpsa02.JPG

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
X-Pipe or H-Pipe wouldn't have anything to do with not being able to run the exhaust out the valance.

Sounds like he's not able to much pipe bending there, and that he's trying to graft some GT trumpets or smaller tubing to the larger pipes coming out the FM's.

There should be no problem running 2-1'2 - 3" pipe out the rear valance.

Suggest you BF go have a look to see what he's doing.

G

·
0 Posts
just an opionion,
im not sure what the muffler guys problem is, ive
seen mustangs with up to 3 inch pipe out the back
if it was me id pull the car from him and find someone
who can do the job you want.
why pay money for somthing you dont want?
Dave

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He said he needed the X for routing.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
No offense, but that's B.S.

You can run strait pipes and have an easier time of routing.

X-Pipes are performance extras. Most shops try to talk you out of because they would rather do "H" pipes because they have them and they are easier to install.

Suggest your BF go get his car and take somewhere else. FAST!

G

·
0 Posts
X-pipe for routing ????
was this guy a plummer befor he did exhaust ?
BTW
always nice to meet a cat person!
i have 3
Dave

·
Registered
477 Posts
Got to agree with everyone on the BS. Here is a pic of my exhaust from headers, to X, to mufflers. You can see that if the X wasn't there it would be fairly simple to shoot a straight pipe from headers to mufflers. You can also see it is well before the tail section.

http://home.earthlink.net/~hjnsn/exhaust.jpg

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I'm using 2 1/2, out the valance. I think I'd pack my bags and go somewhere else. Try to find someone who has done an early Mustang before. Ask guys at your local Mustang club.

·
Registered
10,056 Posts
I used to run a Midas shop, and did all the custom work myself. So I did my own tailpipes. Any thing larger than 2 1/4 going through the GT valence is difficult. 2 1/2 nearly impossible, and 3"? How can the pipe fit between the gas tank and also miss the shackle?
My question is: did you ask them to use those 1 3/4" OEM style GT trumpets? If so, yeah, those would choke the exhause down some.
I have no idea why the "X" would be necessary.
Some shops are at the mercy of the talent they employ.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
All the piping size aside, I used the GT trumpets on my 66 but cut them off at the point where they equaled the size of the exhaust. In other words I cut the trumpets off about 10 inches or more and had the exhaust pipes welded directly to the trumpets. No loss of flow.
I am only running the 2 1/4 inch exhaust however, which is handling the 350 HP just fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts