Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to verify for certain that a car is a true GT? I'm mean it's not critical that it is, but I'd like to know I'm getting what I paid for. I'm interested in a '65 fastback in San Diego. If I knew what to look for, I'd feel better.

Thanks a million,

Mustang Newbie,
(Jeff)

·
Registered
651 Posts
If you found a true 65 Gt great. Be careful there is alot of fakes!
Here are acouple of things to look for. I have a real 65 Gt Convert.

Disc brakes

Fog lights look for fog light switch on lower left dash Also make sure there is holes approx. 1" on each side of core support for fog light wiring to pass through.

Close ratio steering

Black camara case instrument gauge cluster no idiot lights here

Exhaust in front of the rear end you will see exhaust hangers built in the body.

exhaust trumpets coming out of the lower valance. Remember 65 had no back ups

All Gts had either an A Code 225hp V8 or if you are really lucky you might have avery rare K code 271hp

All Gt's were built late Feb 65

Jeff I think I covered it all. If I didn't I am sure somebody here will complete what I started.

Thanks
Tom

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Remember 65 had no back ups"

Thank you gentlemen. Intresting; '65's have no backup lights. This one does. Could be a replacement panel.

Thanks a million for the useful information and the link. Very helpful and appreciated.

Jeff

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
"Real" GT's were also allowed to be created by dealers. It is very, very difficult to really identify one unless you are lucky and have specific documentation like order papers, etc. up until 15 years ago or so, you could still pretty much determined and verify through contacts with original owners, dealers, VIN #'s etc but too many years have past, to many really good car guys have done excellent work and accessed either NOS or OEM parts. I've seen many an "expert" be greatly challenged.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In addition to the replies above, try using the search function. You will find lots of discussion on this subject. If there is something specific on the car you're interested in and/or would like to compare it with another, I have a '65 GT K-code Fastback here in San Diego that you can see, and a '66 GT A-code Fastback project car (for sale soon). Send a private message or e-mail if I can help.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Todd's right. BU lights were a delete item with a GT package. The hardest thing to fake is the correct wiring harness. The dash & rear lights will come on with the fog lights. The other hard to fake item is the spacer in the rear frame rails that kept the muffler bracket bolts from squashing the frame rail when tightened.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts