·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is at the painters (finally) and I have a few questions. My 65
fastback was originally Vintage Burgundy with black & white interior, I want
to keep these colors. My questions are:

1. Vintage Burgundy with white LeMans stripes. According to the 65 color chart
the PPG code for vintage burgundy is 50657. What is the code for the stripes?

2. Are the stripes the same off white as the interior? Which is PPG code 8612?

3. If I get the stick on GT350 side stripes will they match the LeMans stripes
color?

4. Or, if I paint the side stripes where do I get the matching colored GT350 numbers?

I appreciate any and all help!!

Thanks in advance, Ron

PS. Yes this is a restmod / clone please don't flame me, this is what I want and
probably as close as I ever get to a real one. ::

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
1. you won't find matching stick on stripes.

2. If you paint the side stripes, you paint the GT 350 on as well.
When I did my stripes, I had a sign shop make a reversed stencil for the lower fenders graphics using similar print style as the GT350. But I painted my stripes on top of the base coat.

If you go the other way around and put your stripe color down first, then you can use one of the aftermarket kits as a stencil.

This was taken a while back, but gives you an idea about the graphics.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/368000-368999/368495_82_full.jpg

Don't forget to use the tapered dimensions for the lemans stripes, or they'll come out looking a little strange ::

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sounds like a great idea! What about the color, do you use the same paint code
for the stripes as the off white interior?

Ron

·
Registered
630 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
The cogniscenti is never going to mistake a '65 burgundy car with white (black appointments) interior -- and BACK SEATS -- for the real deal. Everyone else won't know whether your stripes are the right color or not. So do what you like.

I would try to color match the interior white. But IF it were a real Shelby with white stripes they would be it would have Wimbledon white skunk stripes. Trivia: the skunk stripes were an extra-cost option on '65's, painted on by the dealer, not by Shelby American.

BTW, my kids' '65 fb originally was EXACTLY the same colors as your car. How I wish the P.O. had stuck with burgundy. I LOVE burgundy!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! I love the burgundy too! Most people don't know that the 65 only came in white,
the others will think it's a 66! Especially since I am putting in the Pony interior with
custom black and white pony seats and 66 dash. Like I said this is a restmod / clone I'm
doing it to keep not turn a profit (like that would ever happen) too many hours invested.::

Ron

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
The Whimbleton white that is the stock formula is actually a dirty greyish white and not a true white. It almost has a blue cast in it. In fact when I opened the can when I did my Shelby Clone I thought that they must have sent me the wrong color! I whitened mine up considerable (60% straight white tint bases and 40% stock whimbleton white) since I was going with a non-stock much brighter red than what 67's came with. I just thought that the whimbleton would have looked too blue/grey against the bright red. With a maroon and black and white interior I would first make a decision about whether or not you are going with tape stripes versus painted on. If you decide tape, buy the tape and look at the color. Compare the color to the seats white section (you don't want to havbe three different white's on your car seats, rocker stripe and Lemans stripe) While it may not jump out at you it will just send a subliminal message that all is not right with the car like when a body line is not right (asymetry). I would use a color either like the rocker stripe (decal) and the seats or something in between so that they all looked matched. Short of that I might look to a creamy off white that complimented the maroon better than a grey/blue white.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts