Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, this is my first post. My plan is to buy a Dynacorn 66 Fastback body and turn it into a GT350 Tribute. I'm looking for a shop near Bridgeport, CT that can take take the body and turn it into a rolling chassis. I'd like to install Heidts Pro G Front and IRS systems in as well as mini tiubs and a 4 point roll bar. A Heidts Dealer would be preferable (waiting for them to get back to me their dealer network). I'd perform the rest of the assembly at home (a lot) and am not comfortable welding the suspension and chassis components myself nor do I have the equipment. Any help or previous experience would be most appreciated. Stay healthy out there!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Not sure on a shop, but make sure you get the proper documentation to title and register it as a 1966 with historic plates, and not a 202x, so you are not subject to CT annual vehicle property tax. There are certain towns in CT, like Middletown, that are jacking up the taxes on kit / build cars, and taking advantage of their residents. Egregious, and criminal! Watch out!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Not sure on a shop, but make sure you get the proper documentation to title and register it as a 1966 with historic plates, and not a 202x, so you are not subject to CT annual vehicle property tax. There are certain towns in CT, like Middletown, that are jacking up the taxes on kit / build cars, and taking advantage of their residents. Egregious, and criminal! Watch out!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I have the opportunity to register in NY and may do so as CT may hold me responsible for emissions coinciding with engine year. I would think 2020 block, 2020 emissions.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I think for a ‘composite’ car, emissions needs to match the block year, but you’re exempt from the actual test. I would register elsewhere if possible, but obviously the requirements vary state to state.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've heard that the Dynacorn shells need a lot of tweeking to make things fit or work. There's a guy in Pennsylvania - Petersons Restorations - that builds shells using Dynacorn components. He seems to take more care with fitment and brings it to a higher level of completion than Dynacorn. He's a bit more expensive but you may be better off in the long run.

He's got a Utube video

·
Spammer Hammer
9,664 Posts
Your car, your dollars, but it doesn’t sound like much of a tribute with a Heidts front and rear Suspensions. At least you didn’t call it a clone. I’ll second the CA suggestion though. Hopefully they’ll point you in the right direction and save you some money. I’ll add John at ORP for actual period correct vintage legal type GT350R suspension components and Quick Performance for a period correct vintage legal 9” Ford rear assembly. I can tell you from experience that route can be had for less than $7K....and it will all bolt right on Ford style.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I've heard that the Dynacorn shells need a lot of tweeking to make things fit or work. There's a guy in Pennsylvania - Petersons Restorations - that builds shells using Dynacorn components. He seems to take more care with fitment and brings it to a higher level of completion than Dynacorn. He's a bit more expensive but you may be better off in the long run.

He's got a Utube video
[

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your car, your dollars, but it doesn’t sound like much of a tribute with a Heidts front and rear Suspensions. At least you didn’t call it a clone. I’ll second the CA suggestion though. Hopefully they’ll point you in the right direction and save you some money. I’ll add John at ORP for actual period correct vintage legal type GT350R suspension components and Quick Performance for a period correct vintage legal 9” Ford rear assembly. I can tell you from experience that route can be had for less than $7K....and it will all bolt right on Ford style.
I'll have to check out CA. I like the radical look of the GT350 but the car will not be vintage raced- not saying It won't ever see a track. I wanted to take the classic shape and make it accelerate and handle better while being reliable for street use. I heard independent suspension nearly made it into the GT350R's but it was cost prohibitive. I realize the Heidts systems are expensive and I may never push them to their potential, that's where I guess CA could save me some $.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I checked out a couple of Peterson's videos and I believe his price is not too far off. A Dynacorn Dealer quoted me about 10 hours at $85/hour to sort out the Dynacorn Body. Peterson also includes all front end sheetmetal and a vin. Added bonus: I could drive out and pick it up!

·
Spammer Hammer
9,664 Posts
2019 Hallett Vintage Race Winner. From dead last in 20 minutes. All vintage legal. Second place car...which also got passed...all new coil-over suspension, big sticky tires, cheater motor, cheater brakes...the list goes on. Point is, no feathers ruffled, but sometimes...well it’s a learning process.

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
730 Posts
Why aren’t you just buying a mustang and having the bodywork done you’ll have the guts then that you won’t have With the Dynacorn body just my 2¢

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why aren’t you just buying a mustang and having the bodywork done you’ll have the guts then that you won’t have With the Dynacorn body just my 2¢
I’m anticipating having trouble finding a sound fastback. Especially here on the east coast.

·
Super Moderator
9,757 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Cost wise, you probably would be better off buying a fastback. Save a few bucks if you can find a nice 6 cylinder car.

Check out the Roadster Shop full frame with independent front suspension and put that under the fastback. Then you'd have a vintage vin # (and no issues with title or registration issues) with the type of suspension you're looking for.

Put any motor you want in the car and you're off to the races.

Open up your search for a car nationwide. Even if you had to pay someone to inspect it for you or hop on a plane to go see it yourself, I'll bet you're still way ahead of doing a Dynacorn shell. There are a lot of parts that don't come with the shell that you still need to finish it off, so the costs really will add up.

Maybe you could have the car shipped off to the Roadster Shop (they're outside of Chicago) and then they'd send you the rolling chassis to finish up.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts