Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine took them off his car to install aluminum heads and wants to get rid of his GT40's. I already have an assortment of iron heads, D00E 351W, couple sets of E7, bunch of 289...
Not sure if I want more to add to my pile of junk
:rofl:

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
yes, i have seen them recently for over 300

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Yes, they are a great starting platform....especially at that price....

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm interested if you are not!

·
Registered
316 Posts
That is s good price. Are the heads pulloffs from an Explorer or were they purchased new. If using them for performance, use aftermarket springs, retainers, locks and have the heads machined for decent valve stem seals. I had a set of these on my 5.0 for a awhile. I had to use short spark plugs and machined one of my sparkplug sockets so that I could get at it. These heads are the first sbf head to relocate the sparkplug location which can cause problems depending on the headers you are using. I had my set pocket ported with a performance 5 angle valvejob and they out performed a stock set of GT40-Y heads which I quickly replaced with AFR 165s. The P head is a deal at that price.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
That is s good price. Are the heads pulloffs from an Explorer or were they purchased new. If using them for performance, use aftermarket springs, retainers, locks and have the heads machined for decent valve stem seals. I had a set of these on my 5.0 for a awhile. I had to use short spark plugs and machined one of my sparkplug sockets so that I could get at it. These heads are the first sbf head to relocate the sparkplug location which can cause problems depending on the headers you are using. I had my set pocket ported with a performance 5 angle valvejob and they out performed a stock set of GT40-Y heads which I quickly replaced with AFR 165s. The P head is a deal at that price.
That would be the GT40P head. The GT40 heads don't have the relocated plugs.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think they're P's. I should know tomorrow, he's supposed to bring them to my sisters so I can look at them when we get together to exchange gifts. My buddy is actually my nephew :winkgrin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts