Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im rebuilding a 302 for my mustang and after having a few conversations with the guy at the machine shop I am thinking about using aftermarket heads. I was thinking of using edelbrock performer heads but then the machine shop guy suggested maybe some GT40 heads. Basically im wondering what some of the advantages of either head are and how much/where i can find a set of GT40 heads if I go that route.
Thanks all

Ryan

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
more flow more gas/air more power. The gt40 is aluminum witch can let you get better compresstion on lower octane gas. It has bigger valves and better ports/bigger runners to increase flow over stock and mildly ported stock heads. and is way cheaper then the edlebrock heads. any place the sells ford racing products should have it. some other places that carcraft said to buy them from for almost 800 a pair but they are the less desired iron gt40P witch require P headers but if you don't have a good set of headers and plan to buy some its not realy a problem

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Im running the edelbrock performer RPM heads, and i love them. They bolted right up, used my existing headers, and through summit they were about $1000 fully assembled. I recomend them.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I was really thinking abou tthem for when i start my engine rebuild, but i've decided to stop thinkin about heads until 1) I get some real money and 2) i start my engine build. And i need to make sure Tri-y's will fit on the heads i get.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
What are your plans for the car/motor. You should match your cam/intake/heads together. If you have a great pair of heads and a crappy cam - what good are they. A good set of heads can be wasted on a stock lower end.
Give a few more ideas on your plans and a more informed answer will follow. ::

·
Registered
228 Posts
Personally, I'm a big fan of the cast iron GT40s. They can be had fairly cheap and therefore can be a good bang for the buck option. They use any header or manifold that mounted on the original engine and look stock. Once worked a little, they flow really well, too. The aluminum versions are great, but for a driver I personally can't justify the added $. The GT40Ps would be nice if they didn't use special headers.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
What are your plans for the car/motor. You should match your cam/intake/heads together. If you have a great pair of heads and a crappy cam - what good are they. A good set of heads can be wasted on a stock lower end.
Give a few more ideas on your plans and a more informed answer will follow. ::
Excellent advice. :)

Doing your homework now will save you $$$ and time later.

The two heads mentioned are about 50 hp apart in performance. Get a copy of the Sep issue of MM&FF. Excellent series on heads. VERY extensive flow and dyno testing.

How about 396 hp from the AFR 165 head? :: More money? Hell yea! How fast do you want to go and how deep are your pockets? ;)

Have a plan and have fun! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts