Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of taking my 66 convertible 2V 289 auto down as far as Spain from the UK, probably over 1000 miles there, not to mention back.
On a long trip like this, what about freeways vs. normal roads? is is better to cruise steadily 70 - 80 mph or take a more varied route with more stops?
Also, what are the key things to before going? obvious things like hoses, oil etc but any other tips?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Extra set of points, basic hand tools. Some electrical (black plastic tape) duct tape. Fuses of course. Fire extinguisher (always.) Other than those, you're pretty much on track. I lost a fuel pump in a no name town once, took 2 days to get one. Nowadays I'd rig up a cheap electric fuel pump if mine broke down.
Oh, take a hat too ! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
D

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
An extra fan belt doesn't take up much room. How about duct tape and a gallon or two of water? Do you have room for an extra quart or liter of oil?

The 2bbl 289 will cruise nicely at 80 MPH. Or you could enjoy the view of the small towns. Just remember the brakes are quite not up to todays standards.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I would say that the problem is that you are driving through France and Spain, where it is not as easy to get replacement parts as in UK. I mean how many Spanish or French wmf'ers have you noticed. So stock yourself up with spare parts and tools. Spark plugs, electrical fuel pump, a dizzy (in addition to points), fluids and oils, fuses, wires, Abico connectors, a starter and a starter solenoid, bulbs, hose clamps, fuel and other hoses, RTV silicone. You'll probably don't need them, but it gives a more relaxed cruise to Spain. We just had over 100 Mustangs on our 1200mile Grand Fun Run with just minor servicable problems, see the post above.

Can you fix the car yourself, if you can, often the carages will happily let you use their tools and equipment, but will not like to work on it themselves.

Do you have any problems now? They usually don't get better. I would check the alignment, the tyres do wear quickly if the alignment is bad. Check the wheel bearings now. Does your driveline make any clunking sounds?

Remember that gazoline or whatever it was in France is diesel.

And get in touch with French club, they may able to help you, if something happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts