Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a preference for Gun Safe Companies? I'm looking at Champion and Liberty. I was initially leaning toward Champion Trophy initially but it's made in Mexico so was looking at the Triumph as its 100% USA. But now I'm going the other way with Liberty looking at either the Franklin, Lincoln or the National Select. The National Select made by Liberty costs more but the local store is selling it pretty cheaply because of blemishes during shipment that I can't see until pointed out to me.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Liberty, Plus they'll deliver it anywhere to you even if you live in the middle of nowhere at no cost...

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
I have a Liberty safe . My only dislike is the combo dial is extremely sensitive and it usually takes
several attempts to open . Not sure if it's me or the dial. I Need to see about converting to an
electronic keypad .

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a Liberty safe . My only dislike is the combo dial is extremely sensitive and it usually takes
several attempts to open . Not sure if it's me or the dial. I Need to see about converting to an
electronic keypad .
I will be getting a electronic keypad. I understand they just started a new extended warranty program for the locks.
$50 for up to 10 years
$99 for lifetime which is an absolute no brainer.

·
Super Moderator
8,921 Posts
Google the subject,.....interesting videos on how many specs and measurements are misrepresented.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Google the subject,.....interesting videos on how many specs and measurements are misrepresented.
...and how quickly some can be defeated. They basically will keep honest people honest and keep guns out of kids hands, so a good thing in that regard.

·
Super Moderator
8,921 Posts
Many are very easily defeated with a cut off wheel, going through the thin sides, totally bypassing the front,....lol.

·
Registered
318 Posts
And fire ratings, both temperature and time, are miss leading and sometimes mis-represented as well! Be sure and study up on the facts.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Youtube! has some excellent videos on many different brands. I highly encourage everyone to check out the Gun Safe videos on there that do "Comparisons" testing.

You'll be truly amazed at how some of these are easily defeated.. I was surprised myself..

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was in your same boat about 3 years ago. I needed to buy a fire resistant gun safe for storing all my "toys and single use batteries for said toys" :wink::wink: I looked at both the liberty safes and the champion safes. Both are strong competitors and from what I have found, very similar in protection for everything that I store in them. What it came down to for me was there was not a company locally that sold Liberty safes but there was one that sold Champion. So at the end of the day, I went with Champion. Another point that sold me on Champion was that it had the door holders as standard and I would have had to buy one for the Liberty. SO those are the 2 factors that sold me on the Champion.

Now I would like to offer some advice. The champion safe that I purchased was a shallower unit so that it could fit in a specific area of my house. My advice for you is once you know where it is going, make sure to mount it to the floor. The last thing that you need is for some bad weather to come and launch it into space. (I live in southern indiana so naders are a real possibility)

Another thing to think about is the finish. I hated the high gloss polished finish that my fathers Liberty safe has due to fingerprint smudges and having to keep it looking clean. I went for the bedliner look so that i could avoid having to clean it as much.

And i agree with 74Rallye. Always get one bigger than you think that you will ever need. You can always store other valuables inside of it. (documents, jewelry, "single use batteries", booze, etc.)
Good luck with the purchase!

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I actually built a small room in the house. Didn't go full vault door, pretty pricey. Metal security door with electronic combo....$$ vs. $$$$. Outer walls are double rows of studs, offset with rebar inserts, fire rated sheet rock. Ceiling has rebar inserts. Door is hidden. No, won't keep out the determined but definitely not easily gotten into and NOT easily found.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Okay, First "gun safes" are not safes they are residential security lockers, that 6k Liberty/National the size of a large refrigerator would be 20k plus if it were a real safe. Also Israel is right whether you go at the door or the sides a cut off wheel on a angle head grinder will make short work of it. liberty or any other "gun safe" is just multiple layers of light gauge metal no different than cutting quarters off our mustangs. They keep the snatch and grab crook out of your stuff not the pro who might be targeting you specifically and who brings the proper tools. That said buy the best you can afford and get the one bigger than the largest you think you need you'll need it.

·
Registered
860 Posts
After researching for a year I settled on an Amsec. Felt it was the best value versus features. Mechanical lock. Have had it for about 7 years and really like it.

But bigger than you think. I bought larger than I thought I would need but it appears they are multiplying in my safe as I am almost out of room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I decided to go with the Liberty National Classic Select. Getting a good deal on in IMHO. It has a couple of paint chips that the dealer had to point out to me and its going in my basement so I'm not worried about it.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Check out Sturdy Gun Safes. They are custom built to your specs and can be configured similarly to a Liberty safe, but for typically less money. I got the smallest 60" tall model which was 19" wide and it weighed almost 800 lbs, so it's got some steel in it. The company also has some interesting videos on their site comparing their product to other safes.

Good luck with your search,

-Shannon

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Check out Sturdy Gun Safes. They are custom built to your specs and can be configured similarly to a Liberty safe, but for typically less money. I got the smallest 60" tall model which was 19" wide and it weighed almost 800 lbs, so it's got some steel in it. The company also has some interesting videos on their site comparing their product to other safes.

Good luck with your search,

-Shannon
I just looked at theirs and for the same size as what I'm buying, Sturdy Safe looks to be $1,000 more than the Liberty. But I'm getting a good deal because it has 2-3 paint nicks that had to be pointed out after touch up. I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
My brother-in-law (the hunter) would say gun safes are like garages … can't be too big or too secure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts