Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide on what to do with my rear brakes on my car. If I convert to disc with a stock 9" housing, what do I do for a parking brake? I see that Wilwood offers a kit that adds a parking brake caliper, but I'm not sure if I like that.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Fastback
922 Posts
Well, I went with a '79 Lincoln Versailles 9-inch from a junk yard many years ago. It included disc brakes so I switched to a 1" diameter master cylinder (since all my discs are single piston) and made the stock parking brake cables for a '66 Mustang work with the Versailles parking brake lever on the rear end.

I have a very easy pull to set the parking brakes and it doesn't roll on hills at all. Many people don't have good luck with the Versailles rear disc and parking brakes but it just takes a bit of adjustment.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
I bought a Currie rear end with the Explorer? discs and connected them with a Lokar E-brake cable. Works fine- just be sure to tighten the cable sleeve set screws nice and tight... crazy stuff happens when they come loose on the interstate and make whoopi with the driveshaft!! Yup- been there....

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, I went with a '79 Lincoln Versailles 9-inch from a junk yard many years ago. It included disc brakes so I switched to a 1" diameter master cylinder (since all my discs are single piston) and made the stock parking brake cables for a '66 Mustang work with the Versailles parking brake lever on the rear end.

I have a very easy pull to set the parking brakes and it doesn't roll on hills at all. Many people don't have good luck with the Versailles rear disc and parking brakes but it just takes a bit of adjustment.
I currently have the lincoln rear end also. Here is my dilemma. I plan to order my custom wheels soon. I want the biggest rear dish possible. I want to narrow the rear 1" on each side. I am unable to narrow the lincoln rear because the caliper location will interfere with the Ride Tech suspension.

So I was considering putting my stock 9" back in, narrowing it 1" on each side, and adding a cheap ($500) disc brake set-up until I can afford to do matching 14" wilwoods like I have in the front.

Problem is, if I ditch the lincoln rear, and I put discs on the factory 9", how do I make the parking brake work?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the Wilwood rear disc brakes with an integral parking brake too. I ordered them with my Currie 9" rear end and they work fine as stated above :smile2:

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I am running front and rear brakes off of a 2007 Mustang GT on my 66 with the help of a mustang steve kit. What I did was get OEM 2007 parking brake cables for both sides and graft them on to my 1966 cable using u bolt clamps. I also modified my lever to provide more leverage. And I also replaced my 66 parking cable while I was in there and did all I could to clean up the mechanism.

I live on a fairly steep hill and she holds.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the Wilwood rear disc brakes with an integral parking brake too. I ordered them with my Currie 9" rear end and they work fine as stated above :smile2:
I don't think I like the look of the extra 1 piston caliper

I am running front and rear brakes off of a 2007 Mustang GT on my 66 with the help of a mustang steve kit. What I did was get OEM 2007 parking brake cables for both sides and graft them on to my 1966 cable using u bolt clamps. I also modified my lever to provide more leverage. And I also replaced my 66 parking cable while I was in there and did all I could to clean up the mechanism.

I live on a fairly steep hill and she holds.
Where can I find these mustang steve kits?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Here you go, just be aware going in that the rear brake cables are not cheap and do not come with the kit. The calipers and rotors dont either. I believe I have a spare set of front calipers and rotors though if you want to buy them. I think they are 2010+ so they were just the slightest bit too big for my 17" wheels.

MustangSteve's COBRA and GT Disc Brake Conversions for classic Ford

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here you go, just be aware going in that the rear brake cables are not cheap and do not come with the kit. The calipers and rotors dont either. I believe I have a spare set of front calipers and rotors though if you want to buy them. I think they are 2010+ so they were just the slightest bit too big for my 17" wheels.

MustangSteve's COBRA and GT Disc Brake Conversions for classic Ford
Thank you! I already have 14" Wilwoods on the front, I am just trying to figure a cheap way to use discs on the back for now without using the lincoln rear end. I think I may have some factory 1994 calipers I can use. i'll just have to buy the cables.

I think this is my new plan: $170 for mustang steve conversion, stock 94 Calipers, then I will use the Baer Eradispeed 13" rotor upgrade ($295) so all in all, for $465 plus the cables I'll have 13" brakes on my narrowed 9" housing. That should work!

https://baer.com/13-Rear-EradiSpeed-Rotor-Upgrade.html

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I bought a set of 2010 GT rear brakes in kit form on Ebay from a Ford retailer for $199 (quick glance looks like $240 now). Complete kit rotors/pads/calipers etc. designed to upgrade the rear V6 Mustang brakes. Same caliper comes on the GT500 in the rear (slightly different color and part number, same caliper) and if it stops that 2 ton monster it can certainly stop my 3klb 66 coupe using the smaller 11.xx" rotors. Then I got the Mustang Steve rear mount kit for the LV 9" from him. I haven't mounted them yet but I will tackle the new big 4 Piston Wilwood calipers replacing my very heavy "trans am" caliper in the front (T Bird I think) all new lines and this rear kit as a single unit next winter.

I will likely try what Ryan did with stock parking brake cables married in to a custom set up of some sort, plan to use a tunnel mounted handle in a custom console somewhere in the next 10 years :lol:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So you have this kit?

Does having the parking brake "hat" change the offset of the wheels? It seems that the mechanics of the system make the rotor "thicker" because of the hat

I want to make sure sure this wont affect rear wheel clearance

·
Registered
891 Posts
Like Brent I`m running the same rear end,for a cable i modified a stk cable by cutting it and then getting a longer piece,measuring how much longer than stk it needed to be and then getting a ball crimped on the end.
As for width isn`t the later rear ends wider than the 65/66`s ? And isn`t the Lincoln rear the same as 65/66 --meaning it is already narrowed compared to your 69 rear ? You want to narrow it more ?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Be aware that fixed calipers and a non floating rear end cans result in pad knock back when open tracking on sticky tires. My next rear brakes will be the wilwoods D154 calipers with the parking brake shoes in the hat

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all of the advice. I ended up finding an amazing deal on a Wilwood rear kit WIL-140-7140 on Corral.net. The kit required the new ford housing ends rather than the old housing ends that are on my factory 9" housing, but I am chopping my ends off to narrow the rear 1.5" on each side anyway, so I bought some CNC housing ends from Quick Performance for $65. I got such a good deal on this kit that it its still worth it to buy new housing ends and paint the calipers red to match my front calipers.

The kit is a 4 piston caliper with a 12.19" rotor. The housing ends are on the right, and I also bought a billet housing fill cap and drain plug.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts