Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was feeling really self-satisfied, having gotten my wife and two young sons back from a family reunion in KC without a delay or cross word. We'd picked up my car from the Park 'N Fly lot outside the airport, and were on the expressway heading home at about 60 mph...I only remember a big BOOM and suddenly I was going down the road at a 45 degree angle to the right of my intended direction ! I steered across 3 lanes into the drift, and the car swung around. Unfortunately, I overcorrected and the car then recrossed the same lanes I'd just crossed. We swun roughly perpendicular to the road's direction, and I tried to again steer into the skid. But all I got was a "Speed Racer" micro-moment where I realized I could not gain control. I only had time to yell "Hold on" as we slammed head on into the solid concrete middle barrier.

Both front airbags deployed, and suddenly the accident was over as quickly as it had begun. After a second, we hustled the boys out of the car. I'm glad to say that the guy in the other car not only stopped, but was fully insured. A fireman who was passing by also stopped and called in the accident to the police. The long and short of it was that it was just as it's called - an accident. The other guy was sober, admitted guilt, and was completely sorry it happened. I suspect I'll be leasing another '03 Accord, as this one looks like scrap.

We're all fine, thanks to seatbelts all around and airbags. My wife's neck and back are sore, as she was looking back at the boys on impact. My wrists and elbows are sore from bracing for the impact. Both boys are fine, and thankfully seem to have forgotten it.

I've gotta tell you, it still scares the cr*p outta me. The severity of the crash really hit home last night. I think if we'd been in a less-safe car, or had more cars been on the road, that the outcome might have been much worse. I can replace the Honduh, but not my family. You can bet they all got big hugs last night.

So VMF pals, please please drive carefully. It still amazes me how quickly I was out of control, even though I was not driving wildly or exceeding the speed limit. Please consider accomplishing those safety upgrades on your mustangs that you might have been putting off for lack of time or funds. I'm not reporting this looking for sympathy - I just want everyone to benefit from little misfortune, where I learned just how fortunate I am. :: Dickson

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Yikes! I'm glad no one is hurt, and that you weren't out for a spin in the fastback.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Scary story!

Glad you and family are still with us and unhurt... People look at my old cars and say; "They don't build em' like they used to".. I agree!

Automoblies are much, much better (and safer) than they used to be!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Dickson, so glad to hear nobody was injured. It can happen in a heartbeat, and sometimes there is simply nothing that can be done. You were fortunate to be in a very responsive and durable car when it happened. Your reflexes probably had a lot more to do with the positive outcome of a bad situation than you realize.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Wow, i'll bet that was a bit on the scarey side!!!!

I'm so glad you all walked away. Your kids will have a good story to tell there friends.

Some times there is no saving a out of control car, sounds like you gave it one hell of a try ::

·
Registered
746 Posts
Wow, I'm glad you and your family are ok. God Bless, Dawn

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Oh man, thank God you and your family are okay! It can happen so fast these days. Will say an extra prayer of thanks tonite while I am working that ya'll are all safe and still together! :: Oh yeah, I did put the 3 point seat belts and added the high back seats in my 66 stang. I also will change out the steering box to a rag joint before turning my kids loose in this "thang"!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Thank God everyone is OK! Hoping everyone feels better soon!!

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
In the speedracer moment did you have that cool green,red, or orange backround that only shows your face?? Sounds like one hell of a crash that i hope won't have any later injurys.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Good to hear everyone's OK, Dickson.

This sort of thing doesn't happen often, but it does happen. No telling what might have occurred if you'd been in one of the older cars, but I'm sure the outcome would have been worse in many ways....

Again, good to hear that the only damage/injury/loss was some soreness and a completely-replaceable late-model car.

·
AKA Exchevman
5,383 Posts
Man i'm glad that everyone is ok, I think that you just made up my mind about the rollbar for SWMBO's vert along with the three point belt.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Please consider accomplishing those safety upgrades on your mustangs that you might have been putting off for lack of time or funds.
Sound advice, your post is making me think about putting the shoulder harnesses install to the top of the list. Glad to hear you and yours came through that uninjured!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts