Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
One of the things I noticed about the different pumps discussed is that they seem to have different pump heights to the flange that mounts the fan. Whatever one I get as a backup pump (replacement one is already installed) I think I'm covered as I have fan spacers for 2, 2 1/4 and 2 1/2. I want to keep my fan at the same location in the shroud.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
I've been running an ebrock wp for going on 20 years (its gonna blow this summer now that I jinxed myself). Great pumps and they swear that other designs send an imbalance of water favorign one head over the other. Theirs has a balanced flow.

After removing my power steering, I found a dual pulley for the alternator in my junk pile and now run dual belts on the wp. I can run them fairly loose since there's two and reduce the load on the wp. Highly suggest that setup for anyone that can get away with it...

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
One of the things I noticed about the different pumps discussed is that they seem to have different pump heights to the flange that mounts the fan. Whatever one I get as a backup pump (replacement one is already installed) I think I'm covered as I have fan spacers for 2, 2 1/4 and 2 1/2. I want to keep my fan at the same location in the shroud.
From my notes, early pump without backing plate is 5.16" tall, 65-69 with backing plate 5.42", 69.5+ with drivers side lower hose 5.7".

·
Registered
602 Posts
No sir, no backing plate on this one. It seems that many of the 65 motors used a pump that is a little shorter and no backing plate. They basically use the same pump as the Hipo motors. Can be a challenge finding a quality pump for these

Do they have one with a backing plate?

I think this is what I'm looking for...Scott Drake Store - 66-69 Aluminum Water Pump (Small Block Hi-Po)

It's a FlowKooler water pump and has the backing plate...

Allen

·
Registered
602 Posts
The fan spacer isn’t the challenge. It you do not get the right pump, your pulleys will not line up properly.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The fan spacer isn’t the challenge. It you do not get the right pump, your pulleys will not line up properly.
Good point. While I could shim the alt and ps pump, I can't shim the crank pulley easily.

·
Registered
34,324 Posts
IMHO that kind of failure was precipitated by a high loading on the case at that point due to tightness of the belt package.

My recommendation for a replacement would be the Milodon 16229.

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
Unfortunately the Flowkooler pump seems to just be a standard parts store pump that they have put a fancy impeller onto - I have gotten not one, but TWO that were bad straight out of the box with what felt like gravel-filled bearings. I would suspect that if other pump castings are seeing failures like this, the Flowkooler would be equally susceptible.

I use a cheap repro pump that was made sometime during the 80s and appears to be much higher quality than the new ones sold today. I had it rebuilt a couple years ago with an original HiPo impeller and brand new top-of-the-line bearings and it cost me less than $100... so less than a brand new Flowkooler.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Kelly I remembered what you said about your experience with Flowkooler. I checked mine over before installing it. Bearings were nice and smooth. Seems to be working fine. But everyone has different experiences. Will keep an eye in mine to see how it is. Several people on here have nothing but good things to say about Flowkooler.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Unfortunately the Flowkooler pump seems to just be a standard parts store pump that they have put a fancy impeller onto - I have gotten not one, but TWO that were bad straight out of the box with what felt like gravel-filled bearings. I would suspect that if other pump castings are seeing failures like this, the Flowkooler would be equally susceptible.

I use a cheap repro pump that was made sometime during the 80s and appears to be much higher quality than the new ones sold today. I had it rebuilt a couple years ago with an original HiPo impeller and brand new top-of-the-line bearings and it cost me less than $100... so less than a brand new Flowkooler.
Hmm...makes me pause. I'll talk to Mark and see exactly which WP he has.

Allen

21 - 31 of 31 Posts