Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I purchased a 64.5 coupe and all wasn't well yesterday, I had to have it towed home due to excessive rust build-up in the fuel filter.
Today I got out to Mustangs Unlimited and got a Pertronix,and new tank sending unit.
Seems the problem with the fuel tank went away as soon as I changed the tank and filter.
I have a question though, currently there is a Holley 1bbl carb w/hand choke, this doesn't seem right to me(looks aftermarket big-time.)The exhaust manifold has the remains of an old choke tube, so should I put a Ford carb with heated choke on it(since this seems to be right)or should I keep the Holley? Right now the car runs really choppy in drive, and if I mess with the manual choke, it stalls out. I'm at my wits end trying adjustments and nothing seems to work.
Hope for some answers. BTW-it's a 170c.i.d. w/auto trans.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I've never in my life seen a Mustang with a hand choke. I would put the right carb on it if it were mine. I had a 65 with the filter problem...it drove me crazy! It would drive for about half an hour, then quit. I'd let it sit for an hour and it would run fine for a while. I had the heads checked and everything. That's the way one learns, though!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts