Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked with a new member of our local mustang club the other night. He had brought his 66 coupe, which he had nicely restored himself. On inspection I saw from the VIN that it was originally a six cyl car, but he'd converted it to a 289.
Later that night we were talking about brakes, and he made a comment that "no matter what you do, mustang brakes just are no good." I had to ask: "Did you upgrade your brakes and suspension when you added a V8 to your car?" Obviously, the answer was "No." He held the opinion that unless he upgraded to dics brakes, the standard I-6 were comparable to the V8 units. Additionally, he said that a I-6 engine "only weighs about 100 lbs more than a 289." I don't know for sure, but this too seems wrong.
I know one thing for sure: As nice as it looks, I still don't want to ride it his car at any speed over 20 mph.
I had to just keep my big mouth shut. He's a new member. Hopefully he'll learn, or discover the VMF.
Dickson

1965 GT fastback
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

·
Registered
637 Posts
Actually, the I6 drum brakes are not a whole lot worse than the V8 drums in my experience when they are properly maintained. I've owned both 302 powered '66 with the 5 lug drums and my current car which has a warmed over 289 with the 4 lug drums and there really isn't that big a difference. I'm not naive enough to believe they work as well as the V8 drums, but they really aren't that much worse unless they get very warm. As soon as time and money allow I will be switching over to discs, but until then........

Nick

64.5 Coupe
289, C-4, 9 inch posi w/ 3.50's
"going fast IS looking good"

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Dickson - Good to see you survived Mardi Gras and made it to Lent! You should have innocently directed him over here to the forum to 'tell us about his car'. The poor guy'd probably get educated pretty quickly. Actually - we tend to be pretty easy on the misinformed here. I know I've talked thru something other than my mouth a few times here and the ladies and gentlemen of VMF have politely corrected me *LOL*. Like Dean T says it's "like having alzheimers...".

Glenn Morgan 66 GT Fastback 351w+toploader

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
That follows what I've heard in which the I6 brakes were more suited for the I6 car than the V8 brakes were for a V8 car.

IIRC the I6 is about 50 to 100 pounds lighter than the 289 (can't remember).

The main problem is the I6 spindles are a bit weak and bust even with the original I6 engines. Their rear ends were adequate for an I6 but the V8's torque can mess 'em up pretty good.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
The rears were barely adequate with a six. They can not take any real serious abuse. The brakes are OK at NORMAL driving speeds.

Gene J

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1584519&a=12058180&p=43615721.jpg
66 Coupe/66 Convert/84 GT Turbo/96 coupe

Gene's cars

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I had a 66 coupe that was converted from a 6 to a 289. I changed out the rear but never got around to changing the front suspension. I never had a problem with the brakes and the extra weight but I never did any HARD braking either. That's not to say that they are adequate just that they can handle it as long as they are in good condition and your not doing any slaloms.

If it ain't broke, you're not trying hard enough
Josh
64 1/2 Coupe

jpony645 on Yahoo IM
MKSU1DR on AOL IM

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
My 66 was a I6 that I converted over to 302. I ran the 6 brakes for awhile with the V8. I did notice a bit less stopping power. When I upgraded to V8 drums I noticed more stopping power. The pressure it took to press the pedal was about the same though. Just seemed to stop quicker.

66 Coupe, 302, Auto, 3.25 gears. [color:red]Candyapple Red</font color=red> with White Pearl Stripes. Cragars.
http://web.infoave.net/~ronniek

1 - 8 of 8 Posts