Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
12,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ozzie was 8 years old and developed cancer. Boy was he part of our family. I don't remember if it was a book but I remember something about lessons learned from a GR. Talk about unconditional love! Oh well, just another transition in our lives.
Stan

·
Registered
900 Posts
Sorry to hear it. People who think a dog just couldn't be so important a part of your life have just never known that kind of friendship.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sorry to hear that. We had to put ours down several years ago due to cancer also. Seems to run in the breed. Best dog I every had. Really became part of the family. I have been wanting to get another one, but the wife is not to keen on dogs. Our new baby (4 mo) and I will be working on her. We shall see.

Louis

·
Registered
466 Posts
One of the hardest things that I have ever had to do was put down one of our beagles that developed lung cancer.
Dropping the dog off at the vet and looking into her eyes knowing that would be the last time I would see her was heart-breaking.

I agree, unless you have had a true companion in a dog, you never really understand.

Sorry about your loss.

Eric

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Sorry to hear that. We have a Golden also, and he's like one of the kids to us...
http://www.goldenrecovery.org/BENDIdownnew.jpg
Bendi had been hit by a car and left abandoned. The Rescue group had one hip rebuilt and a pin installed in one front leg. (over $3K in bills). You would NEVER know that he's a "bionic dog" /forums/images/icons/smile.gif. He recently passed his Canine Good Citizen test, and will be doing the Therapy Dog trial.

There are several Golden Rescue groups on the 'net...maybe when you're ready, you can get another. We adopted Bendi through http://www.goldenrecovery.org

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss. It's particularly hard when you have to have it done.

At least all dogs go to heaven, or so I have been told /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Man can I relate! I had my Chow for 20 great years & had a Jack Russel Terrier the last 3. Had to put them both down this year. We have a thing here in Tulsa called Partners For Life that creamates your pet & gives you it's remains in a rosewood box. Kinda helped our transition. My wife has fostered & adopted out 67 animals so far in 2 years, it helps. Sorry about your loss...

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Sorry to hear about that....I've had 4 goldens, and they are IMO the kindest breed of dog I've ever encountered.

Unfortunately, my last 2 have developed cancer too. Current guy has it in his mouth, but does not seem to be bugging him now so vet says to leave it be.....When we have to put him down my wife will be absolutely devastated ! Dickson

·
Registered
391 Posts
I am compelled to add my words to your message. Over the years, when I was married, we had several dogs. I loved each of those dogs and felt they were really important parts of my family. Each time one was to be put down, I held the dog until after the moment of death; I just did not want them to leave this world alone. One dog, Demiaa, had to be put down three days after the death of my father; I hurt so bad I could not hold her, much less wait for her to be put down. These are loved friends not soon forgotten.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Man I can relate.

We had to put down Bocephus (Bo) our 13 year old Golden Retreiver last year. Having no children and raising him since he was weaned it was THE HARDEST THING I EVER HAD TO DO.

He too, developed cancer, bone cancer to be exact.

My heart goes out to you.

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. In the late summer of 2000, we had to put my 15 1/2 year old Labrador, Sunny, down. His was a long, great life for a Lab. He was still retrieving and swimming up to a couple of months before he had to be put down. I could barely face it. It was, without a doubt, the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life. I was thankful that our vet came to our house for it. He went to sleep in my arms, peacefully.

I will admit that only one thing made it easier: my other best friend - Obi - was there to help my wife and I through the tough loss. I'm sure it was hard on him too, but he was a trooper and did his best to take our minds off of it by insisting we play constant fetch with him ;-)

Again, sorry for your loss.

-bob

·
Registered
124 Posts
I feel for ya, Stan. I can also relate...my daughter has a pet rabbit that has gone blind in one eye, going blind in the other, and has diabetes. Never had to put a pet down before but I know that even though this rabbit is not a dog, it will be hard. I have a collie that is now 8, and I dread the day when I have to take him to the vet for the final exit. My other pets are parrots, and they will likely have to take me in to be put down. ;-) I've had them since the mid 70's and they're still young'ns!

Hang in there, hug the family and you'll get through this.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Stan. You have my sympathies on the loss of your good friend. I know how hard that can be. We lost our 6 year old Malamute/wolf cross last spring and we were devastated. She was the most loving and devoted dog I have ever seen. She just got droopy one day and, within three weeks and $4K she was gone. Kidney failure. No identified cause. She actually gave her last full measure of devotion by slipping away on the family room floor next to my feet the night before I was going to take her in to be put down. Sasha must have known I couldn't face the next day and, as usual, made it easier for me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Very sorry about your loss, we had to put down our beloved basset hound Arthur just over three years ago. He was the first dog i ever owned, it felt like someone had ripped out my heart. I still miss the old guy. John

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
My sympathies, Stan, I've had to do that a couple of times with my pets (cats). It's not easy no matter how many times you say to yourself that it's best for them.

·
Registered
553 Posts
sorry about your loss, it's tough to lose a pet. you dont realize how mush impact they have on your life until they are gone. i had a little mutt rat terrier for many years, he was a feisty thing. he tree'd a squirrel in our back yard and i had never seen a squirrel around there before, he would fight groundhogs, he could catch rabbits on the run, and i saw him run down and jump up and catch a crow in the air. talk about mighty dog! i spent 2 weeks piling up dirt around the bottom of our fenced in yard so he couldnt dig out, he would keep getting out of the yard. after i finished i put him in the back yard and he goes and CLIMBS up in the corner of the fence. at that point i just said go for it buddy! he was like the neighborhood pup, the little kids across the street used to play with him all the time, he would lay there for hours while they petted and tugged on him. then one day right before my eyes he got hit by a UPS truck... oh well that was 7 years ago but hes was the best dog ever. and sometimes the best dogs are ones that no one else wants. not long after "Morton" was killed this poem about having to put a pet down, popped up in an Ann Landers column, it brings a tear everytime i read it.

When the Time Comes...

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me 'till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

i found the above poem reprinted on the internet here
http://www.sat.net/~patsy/animals.htm
there are many other tearjerking poems about dogs here as well.
take comfort and remember all the great times you had with your dog.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Sorry for your loss.

Last week I had to put down our 17 year old Pom. My youngest daughter has never known life with out Tasha.

When I got home from work, I found her cowering in the garage. When I got close, I could see the problem. The poor things right eye was out of it's socket. It appears that she had a bad case of glacoma. The eye was in bad shape and she was in big pain. Given her age, I decided to send her to doggy where-ever.
I carried her out to the front lawn and as she paused a moment, I put her down. Before, anyone says "how could you", I ask how could I not? I live in the country and I have the ability to deal with this with out taking her to some scarry vets place thats always been associated with hurt. I know my way is not for most people but for me, it's my only choice.

We lost my wifes horse two years ago. I cried like a baby looking at that once beautiful horse laying in the gravel. After some gief time, we went and found another horse. We named her "Remedy" as she was the cure for my wifes broken heart. I suggest your family follow the same plan.
Regards,
Eric

1 - 20 of 21 Posts