Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you know that I am restoring my 70 SCJ Sportsroof. Well, I got the engine back from the machine shop a few weeks ago and have been test-fitting all the parts and accessories while it is still on the engine cradle. I attempted to install the toploader but could not get the snout to fully engage the pilot bearing. I know, I should have test-fitted the thing prior to installing it on the end of the crank. I have discovered that the ID of the bearing is a bit too tight so I bought a pilot bushing at the local parts store and it fits as it should. What's up with the pilot bearing not being correct? I ordered it from NPD, which lists it as applicable to the 428. Has anyone else had this problem with the bearing type versus the bushing type?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Sorry Bob -

I'm looking forward to having problems with the engine..I'm still trying to paint the car!!

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Possibly the end got mushroomed when the installer put it in. Maybe it only was burred the last 1/8th inch or so.
Or was it a no-fit all the way through?

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
This is not an answer to your question, but I prefer the bronze bushing over the roller pilot bearing.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually Art, I agree with you now. The bearing did not fit well in the crank and the shaft of the toploader would not go all the way through the bearing ID.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IT was a not-fit all the way through. I checked the ID of the bearing and the OD of the shaft and the tolerances were far too close for the shaft to slide in. The bushing's ID was slightly larger so it fits better.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I had the exact reverse problem, put the motor in the car with a new bushing, couldn't get the snout to slide home. I pulled the bushing, and found the ID to be undersize. I ordered a second bushing, as well as a bearing, and the ID was correct on both. I've been running the bearing for two years with no problem.

Carl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts