Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, took the 66 out to play golf and surprisingly to everyone (inc apparently the weatherman) it hailed and hailed badly (some just smaller then baseball size). Long story short, I now have 33 sizable dents in the car. Insurance has agreed to fully fix it and left it to me to decide how best to go about that. I'm not sure that I want it done with PDR but not sure what other options are out there? Anyone else have a similar situation with their Mustang? What's the best route to go to get this fixed. They've already agreed to repair and likely repaint the car. Any ideas out there on the best route to go?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. I can say I have use PDR for a few dents over the years on other cars and it is amazing what they can do. I would not hesitate to at least have them look at all the dents and assess. Obviously if there is paint damage, that is a different game plan. Or if it is a good opportunity to get a repaint if you have the time to wait for the fix.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Watch a few youtube vids on the PDR...they can do some really good stuff. The also sell kits on amazon for a little DIY. I actually watched some vids and thought about ordering a kit. but I got a little adventurous, and went to the garage. I was very successful at pulling a fist sized dent out of 70 stang door. I had good paint, so I was able to use a suction cup w/ pull handle to pull it out. I did it on my third try...I did have minor spider webbing in the clear coat...but nothing compared to the big dent. It's already damaged...I don't think you could make it worse than it is w/o a few tries...IMHO
The bad part is: everyone and their Mom is at the local PDR w/ same issue as you. Watch how many new PDR places pitch a tent.

I had the suction cup for installing windshields. Came from harbor freight for 4 or 5 bucks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, honestly - the paint on this car is old(er) probably 15 years or so and is a weird shade of vintage burgundy. So it's a good opportunity to get a paint job out of it. I'm also thinking due to the sheer number and size, there must be an alternative to PDR but maybe not.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
reproduction sheet metal is available from many vendors, but nothing is like FOMOCO sheet metal. If you could keep it, I would try to keep it and get a new paint job....

·
Premium Member
6,792 Posts
Insurance has agreed to fully fix it and left it to me to decide how best to go about that. I'm not sure that I want it done with PDR...They've already agreed to repair and likely repaint the car.
The key word there is "likely". If your preference is a total repaint, well, there's a wide range out there of quality and cost to get approval for beforehand. If your insurance company is going to balk at the price of a decent paint job you need to find that out now.

·
Super Moderator
10,744 Posts
They can do incredible things with PDR.

We had a Yukon taken in for a few very small dents. When the tech showed us the work, he said that he wasn’t pleased with one of the dents because the paint had hairline cracks.

He pointed them out to me, but I honestly could NOT see them,.....!

They looked Great.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
I hauled a '64 'vert from my shop to the upholstery shop to have a new top installed as per the owner's wish. He neglected to tell me that he'd installed new front shocks, but hadn't bolted the tops in place yet. During the haul, the car bounced and the shocks put 2 nasty dents in the hood from the bottom up! I called around and got the name of 'the best PDR guy hands down' in the area. He came out, worked his magic with about a doz different spoons, and got both dents gone. He said he was happy with 1, but the other was slightly still there. I was like Izzy- looked perfect and I couldn't see any indentions at all. $200 later and I was a happy camper. If you do go that route, make sure you get an estimate from the PDR guy 1st- don't tell him what your insurance is willing to pay! Hopefully all ends well for you.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
PDR is wonderful but will it work with thicker gauge metal AND older paint? IDK.
I think that would be the thing to try first even if it messed up the paint by cracking in spots and then get it painted. Without it you may end up with 33 spots of Bondo.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We had a nasty hail storm roll through a few months back. My truck was in the driveway so I ended up with about 60 or so dents. My buddy has a body shop and did the PDR on it and you'd never tell there was ever a single dent on the truck. The PDR guys are really good! If I didn't know any better, I'd swear they swapped out some body panels.

I wouldn't have any concerns about going PDR!

·
Registered
980 Posts
I’ve been pretty impressed with what PDR guys are able to do as well. I love watching them do their magic. As they work the metal it’s like the dents just disappear right before your eyes. Prices are pretty reasonable compared to body work too. Used them on 3 different cars to remove parking lot dents and have been happy every time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts