Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I finally got my hands dirty with the suspension yesterday. My brother and I went shopping for tools (bought pickle forks and rented a coil spring compressor) and we tore apart the front susupension on my fastback. We took out the upper and lower control arms, sway bar, spindles, upper and lower ball joints, strut rods , spring saddles, spring perches, etc. It's pretty bare now. I'm gonna rebuild the upper CA's at school where I can blast em with glass bead :) Just thought I would share my fun. Also, anyone know of anything I should know before I reassemble this upcoming weekend? Thanks.

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289
70 fastback done by may/graduation...hopefully

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes,
Enjoy the new ride.
I rebuilt mine and it improve quality of the ride.
Of course I was driving on 35 year old parts.
I enjoyed my rebuild learned alot and got good and dirty doing it. Now I have to figure out how to get that 35 year old grease and dirt off the floor of the garage . :)

Drew
66' 289 2v, C-4, bench and a/c
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1594736&a=12147274&p=44139589.jpg

·
Registered
330 Posts
The pleasure is so much greater when you do the work yourself that improves the enjoyment of your ride, rather than fork over the bux to someone who is also not going to take the time and care you do.
That is really gonna make the Stang handle better.

1965 Mustang coupe
1961 Thunderbird
1983 Monte Carlo Conv.
Yeah, thats right...Convertible!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, i got one advice. do not torque down your suspension until your car is back down. you do not want to preload them. work smart, not hard! oops, that's two advices. oh well, have fun!

Rubelle
65 2+2, 289 (early A code), c/r toploader, magna suspension, centerline convo pros

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just started my front end this weekend too. I bought one of those master kits from Mustangs Unlimited. I also purchased springs 600# with a one inch drop. I'm doing my very slowly and would appreciate it if you would continue to update the Forum on your progress and any advise you'd like to share. I'm a little worried about removing a replacing the coil spring. I've read that springs can be dangerous.

Good luck and thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. What exactly do I not want to torque down until the car is on the ground? Control Arms? Ball joints? Spindles? Also, where did you get all of the torque specs you needed? I do not have these. I know most things need to be torqued and I figured my Ford Shop Manual would tell me the specs. Instead it says "torqe to proper specifications". Piece of @#$!

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, the coil springs were kinda scary taking em out. My brother and I did it and my bro accidentally took of the nuts off on the bottom of the upper control arm that holds on the spring perch so we had a scary moment there for a while but we got it under control. Oh, and I really hope u have an impact wrench. Without the impact, it would have taken FOREVER to compress and decompress those things.

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when i redid my suspension, the only items i torqued to spec while the car was jacked up were the spring perch, ball joints, strut rod to lower arm and tie rod to steering/spindle arm. the rest i just snugged then when it was lowered, i torqued. when you get to putting on the shocks, install bottom first then jack up the lower arm so you can install the top nut. my ford shop manual had specs at the back of each chapter or get the mustang restoration handbook.

Rubelle
65 2+2, 289 (early A code), c/r toploader, magna suspension, centerline convo pros

1 - 8 of 8 Posts