Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

Well, whoever's got it, hand it over!!

You gotta hear how stupid I've been for the past week.

As many of you know my car is stripped for paint, but hasn't made it to the paint shop yet. Here's why.

I drained the C4 of all fluid, I put on a new gasket and filter and started filling it up. After about 3-4 liters, suddenly the fluid was leaking out of the C4. Because of the new gasket I immediately saw that as the cause. So without looking further I accepted that and ordered a new one.

Here in Holland that takes more time, so my car was now a week overdue at the painter. Today my gasket arrived and I fitted it. Because I forgot the keys to the car as the only lock still in it is the ignition, I started filling with the engine off. Again, after a couple of liters, there was the leak, same place even!!! After a few swear words, I crawled under the car to see where it came from.

Turns out it wasn't the gasket at all. It was a tube on top of the C4 that bends down near the neutral safety switch!!! I guess I overfilled because the engine wasn't running.

So, I was a week late, quite a few dollars poorer for the new gasket and another gallon of ATF. All because of some overflow tube. All I had to do to fix the problem was run the engine to operating temperature and refill the tranny going through the gears a couple of times. If only I had done that the first time....

So did I win?

BTW, the tube on top is an overflow, right??? Or do I have something to worry about?

Columbo

First time '66 Mustang rolling restoration, nearing completion.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Welcome to the doofus club, Columbo. I did one last weekend as I welded up an H-pipe and left the collector rings on the wrong side of the pipe. Cut them off and installed them in the correct place, and re-welded. About an hour of work. Now that you've broken the ice, get that car into the paint shop!

Good luck with the project and keep us posted.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

G

·
0 Posts
ROFL!!!!

Way to go...You win!

:)

Full Throttle
http://homepages.go.com/~ful_throttle/fullthrottle.gif

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
I, uh. never told anybody, but I, uh, did the exact same thing. Figured out after a rather larger puddle formed on the floor. I was actually delighted that it was me and not the transmission that was defectiive.

J. Boggs

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1574992&a=11972962&p=43108527.jpg

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Last summer I was replacing the axle bearings on my 66 & adding 3.25 gears. I cut the old bearings off. Removed the small bracket that holds the brake plate (round back plate for brakes). Inspected everything, then installed in reverse order. Replaced the hoghead. Then when I pushed the axle back in the plate needed about 1/2" to go. After looking over & over I figured out I had installed the small bracket backwards! Had to press that new bearing back off. That was a tough job! I was hoping no one would drop by while I was fixing it the 2nd time.
THEN, to make matters worse, I went to add the grease. Guess what??? NO PLUG! Seems the new hoghead didn't have a plug, nor did the rearend housing. Pondering again..... So I raised one side of the rearend, pulled that axle back out & poured the grease in thru the end of the axle opening.

66 Coupe, 302, Auto, 3.25 gears. Candyapple Red with White Pearl Stripes. Cragars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts