Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

Anyone using a handheld tach when tuning, checking timing our old junk etc? If so, recommendations?
My Actron Digital died recently, after 15 years, go figure? I have another I can use but it doesn't, have an integral tach, which is handy when working under the hood.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I bought my meter off of the Snap-On truck years ago. I don't know what I'd do without it. In addition to the electrical functions, I have used the RPM, Dwell and Temp functions more times than I can count. I no longer have points, so some of the functions (like dwell) rarely get used any more, The temp probe can be inserted in the radiator for a very accurate digital temp reading. RPM is one of the most often used automotive specific functions I utilize.
I have seen complete used meter kits selling online for about $100

Reactions: vegasloki

·
Premium Member
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice meter to have those functions...RPM Dwell etc.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I have an old OTC with basically the same functions as rhutt's meter. Something like the Innova or an OTC would work for you, There's also dozens of "name of the day" brands on amazon to choose from.

or another Actron

Reactions: vegasloki

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I use the old Sears Engine Analyzer. Not exactly high tech or hand held but still works fine for tuning these old cars.

Plus there aren't any batteries to go bad or leak all over the place.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I’ve got a Snap On EETL500 off ebay for $150. Tach, dwell and high voltage ignition testing. Perfect for these old cars. On my kerfuffle last week where there ended up being a loose ground in the distributor I had to break out the two channel scope and hunt it down.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I also have the same Sears unit as above. I've had it for at least 40 years and it's still working just fine. You can probably pick one up online for $10 or $15 dollars and well worth the expense. I just used mine to re-tune my 66 after replacing the timing set.

·
Premium Member
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Vintage Ford Guy I got a hand held too!

Coincidentally, I have the same Sears model that I purchased years ago together with the Crafstman timing light. It still works fine even with the Pertronix and Jacobs CDI systems. The Action was just so darn convenient to have both incorporated in the same tool.

·
Premium Member
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think many of our old testing tools were made with quality workmanship and components.

Reactions: TheRktmn

·
Registered
383 Posts
If you guys are starting out don't buy new tools start going to estate sales, not garage sales. You could buy one of these for $10.00. 99.9% of people going to an estate sale will not know what it is. I picked up a high quality adjustable timing light new in the box for $20.00. I was so sure nobody would not know what it was that I waited for the third day half off sale and it was still there. Thursday and Fridays are my tool hunting mornings. Sign up with an estate sale site and they will sent you photos of all the estate sales in your area. That way you can see which ones have the tools. It might even be the estate of one of guys on here bragging about the dwell meters we've owned 40-year's

·
Premium Member
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Most digital timing lights have an RPM reading.
Yep, they do. The Actron Digital I was using died. I have an analog Sears unit that's been around for eons, just thought I'd press the 'ole girl into service and look for a "Tach" only. I'll back with my findings. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Yep, they do. The Actron Digital I was using died. I have an analog Sears unit that's been around for eons, just thought I'd press the 'ole girl into service and look for a "Tach" only. I'll back with my findings. Thanks for your reply.
Got it. I probably have the same Sears unit as my backup ! The big chrome deal ?

·
Premium Member
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts