Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any pointers or tips on how to hang this door by myself. Once i get it on there i feel pretty confident i will be able to wiggle it around and align it. I just don't see how i am going to hold this thing up and start a couple bolts without dropping the door and ruining my day.

·
Registered
33,834 Posts
I use a 4x4 block about 2 feet long with 2 parallel furring strips covered by an old towel then wheel that sucker on up to the pillar. Using 2 of the bolt holes in the threaded plate on the back side of the pillar to hold it fast with a zip tie will let you get one bolt started in each hinge, then you can cut the tie and do the other 2.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
If you want to get fancy with it they make a tool for that.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
A nifty little one person trick to line things up with very little effort:
1) Place clean towel on grungy grimy seat cushion.
2) Place/balance door on stool keeping one hand on top to hold it steady.
3) Position door up to car, adjust stool height as needed.
4) Use free hand to get bolts started.
5) Grab a beer and smile.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Put some split loom or at very least a bunch of tape on all your edges so you don't chip up your paint.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
A nifty little one person trick to line things up with very little effort:
1) Place clean towel on grungy grimy seat cushion.
2) Place/balance door on stool keeping one hand on top to hold it steady.
3) Position door up to car, adjust stool height as needed.
4) Use free hand to get bolts started.
5) Grab a beer and smile.
View attachment 736864
I use this method, but with a floor jack. The long jack handle allows the jack to be in the middle of the door (balanced front to rear) allowing you to move the door up and down while you are at the front of the door. The other hand holds the door up on the jack, and once in place, you can use the floor jack to roll the door in closer to the hinge, and start a couple of bolts. Yes, lots of towels to keep from chipping up the door and the door jam, and fenders. Best method still involves a 2nd person, even with the jack/stool.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I just use a floor jack with a thick towel on the jack pad. I then cut the heads off of two 1.5" bolts (or use all thread) and install one in each hinge mount pad on the door to act as pilot to fit the door to the hinge Once Ive got one upper and lower hinge bolt installed, i remove those pilot studs.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have used all the above methods on cars just pick the one you like they all work. But if the fender is off you can just pick up the door and hold it up and run a bolt in. Course I am used to much bigger heavier doors. Those big doors on on 2 door G-bodies (el Camino/monte carlo) are really really heavy and the mustang is a featherweight in comparison...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I installed my latch and striker and let it hold the back of the door while I started the bolts. That's with the fenders off of course. Used cardboard on the bottom to hold it off the rockers.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tons of good ideas guys. First thing i notice now with all of the jack advice is my car is way to high. I have it super high since i just put the motor in and did the trans from underneath. I am doing a rear quarter but want to get the door on first and aligned so i have a good edge to make sure i get it right when i put the new quarter on. once i get the car a little lower i have a motorcycle jack that should work out pretty well.

if that doesn't work i have my engine hoist handy but not really sure how i would attach the door to the hoist without damaging anything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
tons of good ideas guys. First thing i notice now with all of the jack advice is my car is way to high. I have it super high since i just put the motor in and did the trans from underneath. I am doing a rear quarter but want to get the door on first and aligned so i have a good edge to make sure i get it right when i put the new quarter on. once i get the car a little lower i have a motorcycle jack that should work out pretty well.

if that doesn't work i have my engine hoist handy but not really sure how i would attach the door to the hoist without damaging anything.
It's a good idea to have the car level and relaxed on the ground to set the doors. These unibodies like to twist

·
Registered
5,373 Posts

put a jack on blocks, even 5 gal pail. You're not trying to lift lots of weight.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's a good idea to have the car level and relaxed on the ground to set the doors. These unibodies like to twist
should i be replacing the quarter with the car sitting on its wheels as well? it is up on ramps on the front and in the back i have jack stands under the axle tubes which to me seems the same as having it on the ground. it isn't level right now and i do agree i should do that before i get started.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I used nylon straps from HF and hung the door from an engine hoist, easy as can be.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts