Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Spammer Hammer
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Getting back in the saddle with the task at hand. Thought I would start the New Year a day early. So the first selection for Ride of the Month for January 2020 is Mr. DaveR. Dave graciously pull this story and pics together on short notice and I am super grateful to him for doing so. Below is the transition and story of Dave's beautiful R Code 428 Mach 1. Hope you all enjoy.

My Ford addiction goes back as far as I can remember as my dad was employed at the Ford Cincinnati Parts Depot from 1950 to 1980. When the 1969 Mustangs hit the streets I was 16 years old with a hot off the presses driver license. Already loving the early Mustangs, the beauty and graceful lines of the ’69’s struck me like a sledge hammer. Only able to admire them, I hoped to one day own that car. After high school I went to college, had a great time and met a wonderful young lady whom I dated and married. After 45 years she still tolerates me and we now enjoy full retirement together. In 2001 I was retired from police service and working part-time and found myself with a small inheritance after my mom died. My home life with 2 kids, both teens at the time, was stable so I asked a contact in the aftermarket auto carpet business to look for the car of my dreams, preferably a project. After several weeks, my contact came through and ultimately I travelled to Jacksonville, FL and bought this car. It was in mid-restoration but started and ran with the interior intact and was a R code Mach 1 4 speed. With 53,000 miles on the clock and minimal rust I believe that the car spent it’s entire life in the south Georgia north Florida area. I arranged for delivery to my home and a couple of weeks later my new acquisition arrived by trailer at my house near Cincinnati. The delivery driver drove it into the garage and there it set for 11 years, basically untouched. My wife gave me the “what in the Hell have you done” look as the delivery was taking place.
Seems like kids in high school, cars, insurance, college, remodeling the kitchen and 2 and 1/2 bathrooms all were more important than the Mach. The stars all aligned in the fall of 2012 as we were empty nesting and she was really tired of that ugly hulk, the car not me, setting in the garage on four totally dry rotted tires. A friend’s family owned a well known body shop nearby and after his inspection and approval the Mach went to the shop, was stripped to a rolling shell and 2 1/2 years later returned to me. The motor was rebuilt by a local drag racer/Dynamat employee. A .030" overbore and one of Comp Cams “Muthr Thumper” cam kits accents the basically stock motor. Most all of the work was done by one guy. A long time body man, he retired from that body shop soon after starting my project. No worry as he has a 2 1/2 car garage at his house that is fully equipped for such a job. The paint was applied at my friends body shop in the spray booth by their painter. I had no idea how loud the interior noise would be so I decided to err on the safe side and installed a lot of Dynamat. The owner of Dynamat is a friend and their headquarters is about 4 miles from my home. Scott cut me the sweetest deal that I could have hoped for. Put Dynaliner also on the firewall. Other than writing checks and ordering parts, I did very little work on the project. Before the start of the project I made the goal clear to my restorer. I want something that I am not afraid to drive, in good weather of course, and that turns heads and draws attention. I did not want a date code, nut and bolt, 100 point trailer queen. The end product is gorgeous and very much stock looking. Just what I wanted. 4 1/2 years since restored and I still have lunch with my restorer 3-4 times a month.

The car is a October 10th, 1968 build and was sold later that month by Langdale Ford (still in business) in Valdosta, GA. With a open 3.50 rear gear, close ratio top loader and the R code 428 it was a factory Candy Apple Red car with Dark Red Deluxe interior. Power front disc brakes and a AM radio round out the factory parts on my car. The engine block is a “C” scratch and could well be original by the codes. The trans has the correct partial VIN stamped on the front flange. A previous owner installed a Hurst shifter and a year correct Ford AM-FM stereo radio. The folding rear seat was added by a previous owner. The windshield VIN tag, door warranty tag, driver side apron VIN and buck tag all agree. One last item. This drivetrain combo is a frickin’ blast to drive. Brutal torque with that gear makes a great combination. Thanks for listening. Happy trails. Dave Rotroff.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
That is one sweet looking ride!

Dave, congratulations, welcome to the R. O. T. M. club and thanks for sharing your story!!

John

·
Registered
695 Posts
Nice write up and a beautiful car!
BlakeTX, I appreciate that. Thanks. I'm far from a literary genius. I have a digital diary that I started shortly after the restoration began. SWMBO looks it over once in a while to check me. That diary is over 50 pages. Kinda fun to re-read occasionally. I tried not to get carried away with the ROTM entry. Dave R.

·
Registered
695 Posts
That is one sweet looking ride!

Dave, congratulations, welcome to the R. O. T. M. club and thanks for sharing your story!!

John
John, your compliment is most welcomed. My restorer did a fabulous job in doing what I wanted. The finished product exceeded my wildest dream. I'm proud to join the ROTM club. Dave R.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Nice car and welcome to the ROTM club. Always liked those 69 fastbacks/sportsroofs!

·
Premium Member
4,921 Posts
Looks just like a 69 Mach 1 I worked on in the late 90s. VERY NICE !! Congrats on the ROTM nod !

·
Registered
11,067 Posts
I'm using the "dark" mode and can't read the text .But nice looking car welcome to ROTM club

1 - 20 of 25 Posts