Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hard drive crashed late yesterday afternoon and I had to make a late dash to town to get another one. Thought I'd lost everything but as it turned out I didn't. We (thanks to a genius friend) we recovered everything EXCEPT my EMAILS. This file was totally hosed. We even tried DOS to access the files and couldn't. Talk about being screwed! I guess I'll get a zip drive this week so I can start backing up every night. I guess I'd be OK if I didn't get on the internet every night. But I'd rather be on line with VMF'frs than watching TV. Oh what owning mustangs does to us. I guess now I can only partly imagine how some of our business friends feel when their system crashes. Have a great evening.
Ken

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I think a read/write CD drive is cheaper and disks are only about $.50 each. At work, we automatically burn a back-up at 2:00 AM every night. Also, if your old drive is really OK, put it in as a second hard drive and back up to it. Do you think you could have had a virus/worm that actually caused the problem. The W32 stuff is mean in that way and is virtually impossible to get rid of without reformatting and starting over. Make sure you are running a good anti-virus program and that your definition file us updated frequently. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I had Norton but I hadn't got new definitions for a week of so. For some reason I average 10-12 infected emails a week. I accidentally got on an advertisers website a year ago and ever since then I get 5+ unsolicited emails or offers a day. Make you want to change your email address but that creats a much bigger problem if one is real active on the internet. I think I'll have a zip drive by the end of the week.
Ken

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
In todays world, you almost need to download definitions daily. Why would you go to ZIP drives vs. CD writer? It seems like old technology that may not be around very long.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I'd get a CD burner/writer and use a CD-RW disc. You can use it over and over. The burner will come with software that allows you to use it like a ZIP Drive or floppy. It uses "drag and drop" and holds about 700MB of backup or whatever. A Zip disk is only good for about 100MB and the discs are pricey. I bought my 24X burner a few months ago for $50. Take about 4 minutes or less to burn a disc. The 32X take about 3 minutes and the new 40X take about 30-45 seconds less. There's just no comparison to a ZIP Drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts