Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't stand that way the heater hoses just lay across the engine. I thought I'd seen a few before but does anyone have some pictures of a home made hard line conversion. I thought I saw one that followed the outline of the aprons.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Don't remember exact years, but a lot of the late 80s, early 90s 5.0 Fords have a hard line setup that runs straight back between valve cover and intake.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
You could fabricate them using copper pipe and elbows from your hardware store. My heater core uses 1/2" copper pipe, and standard fittings will fit. In fact, I had to cut one nipple off and glue on an elbow and a short straight section so I could attach my hose.

I shifted the engine rearward 1/2" which prevented me from hooking a hose to the nipple. So I cut it off and glued on a 90' elbow with JB Weld. Off that I ran a 6" piece of pipe to get where I could easily access it and install a hose clamp.

I originally tried soldering the elbow on, but that was a dismal failure. I have not figured out how to properly solder, and working close to the firewall in cramped quarters complicated matters. I read where JB will sustain something like 300', so I figured it should work in a cooling system that won't see more than maybe 220.

So far, so good.

You could completely fab a setup using 90's and 45's and have a decent setup. You could cover it with nylon split loom for a neat appearance. Anything but nylon will melt, so be particular!

Of course, somewhere you must have a rubber section to absorb engine movement...

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input, I like the 5.0 hard lines. I might just need to fab something from scratch. I'd love to hide them somehow. May be run them under the headers...?...
Not sure about the clearance or (temp issues?).

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Steve, how did you bubble flare the ends of the SS tubing? so the rubber would stay on when clamped? is there a tool for this or is it a DIY tool you made?
Jon

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Grabber70Mach said:
I always heard that JB weld had a problem with antifreeze. I take it you have experienced no issues.
I knew it was too good to be true! :)

I haven't gotten any significant time on the system, yet. I've just started it up a few times and let the fans cycle a few times to verify their operation. Through all of that, no problems. Only time will tell if this was a huge mistake.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I repaired a '96 Ranger 4X4 radiator with JB Weld and the last I saw it, it had been going for 4 years. That was a plastic tanked, aluminum radiator with repairs on both materials. It was a roll over that I was just playing with until I was offered a good price.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
fastlane_65 said:
Don't remember exact years, but a lot of the late 80s, early 90s 5.0 Fords have a hard line setup that runs straight back between valve cover and intake.
This is what I used on my car and it worked nicely. I went to the auto parts shop and they let me look through their formed small diameter hoses and I was able to find something that worked for the 90 degree bends at the firewall. Hope to use them again on the new engine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts