Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I'm new at this. I just got my 1968 mustang and i'm having problems with it. I had to replace the spark plug wires due to one plug touching the headers and burning the boot. The car ran smooth for a while and then it started idling rough. I'm also having a hard time starting it after a few miles of driving. I had to wait for about 30 minutes before it fires up again. The last time it happened, my battery died for trying to crank it a few times. It started when I jumped it. I'm not sure if it's the battery, which I had it charged, starter, spark plug wires or spark plugs, carburator, distributor cap and rotor. Please advice :(

·
Registered
498 Posts
It could be a number of things. If only when warm, make sure your choke is operating correctly. It should be open when warm, closed when cold.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Check that the wires to your starter aren't sitting on the headers or something. Resistance increases with temperature.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Sounds like the engine is turning over so it should be more of a fuel related issue. Search vapor lock, fuel pump defective or as mentioned before choke plate but it sounds more like vapor lock

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the help. I'll check all the suggestions tonight and keep you updated. It's great to get suggestions on this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
66 6,

How do i check for fuel vapor lock and how will I go about fixing it? Also, I noticed that the choke plate is open even before I start the engine. Is this normal?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts