Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a strange starting problem. My 68 Mustang 302 starts great when the car is cold but if I try to start in once it's warm/hot it turns over very slow as if the battery is dead. The battery & starter are both new and the battery has a full charge. Any ideas what might be causing this?

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Sounds like the classic case: You starter is getting too hot due to header/engine heat.... Heat cause a resistance and the more heat you have the greater the resistance to electricity. Did you get a "high quality" starter? Is it close to your headers?

See my 69 convertible and the VMF parking lot at: http://www.geocities.com/Bishir1/FrontPage.html
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/frontside_sig01.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
I have noticed this in my 68 as well, happening less than 1 time in ten when warm, though. It will usually start up fine if I turn the key again. I'm guessing a loose connection somewhere or a suspect starter relay...

68 coupe - Soon to be daily driver (I hope!)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have JBA shorty headers, they have about 4" clearence at the most, I'll try a heat shield and see it heat is the cause.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
My 69 302 does the same thing. The starter is close to my headers and heats up causing greater resistance. My battery is relatively fresh but, when warm, the car will occasionally crank slowly. Anyone tried one of the smaller starters advertised in the racing equipment catalogs?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm gonna try to make a heat sheild for the starter, but if that doesn't work I'll try one of those small racing type starters.

G

·
0 Posts
When all else fails, THOROUGHLY clean all grounds on engine. Have had this cure two vehicles of this illness. They would probably still have the problem if my dad didn't keep telling me to do this. i KNEW that was not the problem

1 - 7 of 7 Posts