Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 300 miles on my new 351C and am experiencing a problem that I have had in the past with other new motors. Can someone tell me what exactly causes this: If the engine is cold, the thing cranks over great. If I drive it a few miles and stop, it will crank right back no problem. If I drive it about 20 miles and stop then try to re-crank, it really struggles to turn over; a couple of times I had to wait a while to get it started again.

Is this a heat problem? My temp gauge never goes over half way up, and I have a 4-core radiator and a new sending unit. I know the gauge works because before I got the big radiator it would overheat regularly.

Or, is this some other problem altogether?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a new starter.

Also, why would vapor lock make the motor crank slow?

Finally, why would the timing being too far advanced let it start OK cold then not when it is warm? It seems fine when it is just warmed up; the problem only starts when it is just a little warmer.

If this is vapor lock, what is the best way to get rid of it?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now that makes sense. I am running headers, and they are definitely close to the starter. I can probably scrape up an ohmmeter so I'll try the scientific approach. Plus, I would probably need an ice-cold rag for my hand and arm if I tried putting something on the starter when it is hot!

Thanks very much for the info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.