Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took out the shifter console, detached the tranny linkage, and went to town on my interior, re-doing everything. Before I tore everything apart, my shifter worked perfectly, no problem whatsoever. This was several months ago.

Fast forward to this past weekend, the interior is completely done. I re-installed the shifter/bezel and hooked up the linkage. Car started up, reversed out of the backyard and off I went to dinner. Went to park the car, moved the Shifter to 'P' and it would go in reverse. I put a good amount of force on the shifter and it then went into 'P'. After dinner returned back to the car and it wouldnt start because it wasn't in Park. Once again I had to forcefully push the shifter up into Park to start it......and that is the way it has been.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Crawl under the car and loosen the nut for the shifter arm at the transmission. Use your hand and turn the transmission lever so that it goes into park (with shifter handle in "P" position), then tighten the nut.

Basically, it sounds like the shifter linkage is a bit out of whack and needs adjusted.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response! I saw the nut and thought that might need adjusting. There is one thing I don't understand. If the bolt was not moved and shifter not moved (other than taking it out of the car), why would it need to be adjusted? Nothing actually 'moved' places....

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
IMO something went back together shifted (excuse the expression). These are not precision parts.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pretty sure nothing shifted when I detatched the shifter from the linkage :shrug:

I will move the nut on the linkage when I get around to it. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts