Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what hardware kits do You guys recommend and how is the quality and accuracy of these kits I saw the AMK kit but wasn’t sure about the accuracy and the quality!

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AMK might not be absolutely concours but they are great. I have done almost my entire car with their kits. Very few issues.
Seems pretty pricey for hardware would you say it’s worth it?

·
Registered
7,742 Posts
Now that’s a very different question. For a top quality restoration then sure. I can honestly say I’ve replaced every nut, bolt and wire on my car. (I am sure there are some I don’t replace but most all for sure).

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
You could try and source it yourself. Part of the premium is having it all in one place. Some pieces aren’t reproduced and other fasteners that fit will work but if you want a hassle free, one stop shopping that’s the price of poker.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Im scouring the net buying hardware. So far Ive spent about $75 on fasteners and have bought way more than I need for the front sheet metal

What Ive bought is not exact duplicates but it is close.

Some items Im buying in bulk because I dont ever want to go looking for them again.

Two cage nuts for the front fenders are $6 at CJP. I bought 10 on Amazon for $13.67.

J-nuts are pretty cheap on Amazon or Homepro Fasteners.

Reactions: Bernnstang

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought about It but à la carte Seems like a PITA

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
5,755 Posts
I started out trying to clean my original hardware as I started to put things together and found I was using up a lot of my time. So I decided to buy some of the kits, they are pricey no doubt about it. I bought the body fastener kit, engine kit and interior screw kit.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
+1 on the kits. I started piecemealing parts, but the time saving factor, getting the right parts, and packaging of the fasteners is worth the premium in my opinion

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
One or the other. Piecemealing is a PITA and time consuming. I know that I will do one or two more 60s Fords so in the end, it will work out for me. Ive pretty much got enough to do the one Im working on + two more.

Reactions: Bernnstang

·
Registered
233 Posts
I bought the amk master kits for the chassis, engine, body and interior. A small fortune in hardware, but well worth it, considering what I started with.

Most of the original hardware was just thrown in a box, not in small baggies with labels indicating where they go. So, the amk master kits saved me the headache of trial and error with each fastener. I went through the entire engine and interior kits, 90% of the body kit, and maybe 25% of the chassis kit.

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
47 Posts
How are they packaged so they save time? Are they specifically labeled for their proper location? I've seen some kits but I guess I wasn't sure what I was looking for at the time, mostly just looking to look, creating a mental note for when it's time to buy.

·
Registered
233 Posts
How are they packaged so they save time? Are they specifically labeled for their proper location? I've seen some kits but I guess I wasn't sure what I was looking for at the time, mostly just looking to look, creating a mental note for when it's time to buy.
Yes, small bags with labels stating where they go.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well that sounds like a no brainer even if the cost is a little higher, gotta figure the time and shipping costs of trying to piece it together vs all in 1 kits.
Exactly my thought when I started my rebuild. Each kit also has a master list showing each bag of hardware included in the kit.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I started out trying to clean my original hardware as I started to put things together and found I was using up a lot of my time. So I decided to buy some of the kits, they are pricey no doubt about it. I bought the body fastener kit, engine kit and interior screw kit.
I saw people using rock tumblers with different media to clean the hardware but decided against that because it would take up a lot of time and those rock tumblers cost the same as the fastener kit

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
AMK sources, in many applications, the original supplier to Ford. Can't get any better than that. Small problem if you are doing a "correct" restoration: watch for the assembly plant differences. Some times the markings on the bolt heads are not what that assembly plant used.
Otherwise, simply the best stuff to use.

·
Registered
9,648 Posts
I bought a bunch of the specific hardware that wasn't easily sourced elsewhere, when what I had wasn't restorable. Since I wasn't build a 100 point concours car, items like fender bolts, sheet metal screws etc, I bought bulk boxes of matching hardware from a body shop supply house. I usually could buy 100 for what AMK wanted for 6 or 10. I did match the finishes to factory, but if the washer diameter was off 1/8" and hidden in the headlight bucket - who cares....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts