Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,742 Posts
I bought a bunch of the specific hardware that wasn't easily sourced elsewhere, when what I had wasn't restorable. Since I wasn't build a 100 point concours car, items like fender bolts, sheet metal screws etc, I bought bulk boxes of matching hardware from a body shop supply house. I usually could buy 100 for what AMK wanted for 6 or 10. I did match the finishes to factory, but if the washer diameter was off 1/8" and hidden in the headlight bucket - who cares....
Yeah but now you have 94 extra bolts. I accumulated so much extra crap while restoring my car my wife thought I was going into the parts business.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
5,755 Posts
I saw people using rock tumblers with different media to clean the hardware but decided against that because it would take up a lot of time and those rock tumblers cost the same as the fastener kit
Funny at the start I had thought of going that route too but since I worked on the road for 2 weeks every month I didn't want to waste my build time cleaning rusty bolts.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Time is money and I didn't want to spend the time sourcing. I bought 2 AMK kits and they were great. I still ended up buying some fasteners piecemeal but the kits saved me a bundle of time. I also liked the fact that they came in bags marked with locations.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I saw people using rock tumblers with different media to clean the hardware but decided against that because it would take up a lot of time and those rock tumblers cost the same as the fastener kit
It has to be something you enjoy. For one project I had a table setup in the garage for months with crock pots, vibratory tumbler, buckets for the caswell plating stuff, aquarium heaters, power supplies, tank for removing rust.... It took time but it was kinda fun making old stuff look newish.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I’ve used many of the kits. Most are excellent. I have found a few things that are a bit off, and as said above there are differences between plants, years etc. Only a very few items were just completely wrong and those were soft items, like straps, not actual hardware.

i have also cleaned many parts and reused them. Besides the time to clean, you are also removing the rust protection so unless you re-plate or paint them, you are better off with new.

Reactions: Bernnstang

·
Registered
7,742 Posts
Not sure if it’s just me but it seems that the sentiment towards these kits has changed a lot over the years I think people really do realize the time is money and it’s worth the time savings.

I think these comments were very different 10 years ago when this question would come up.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
I have the kits, I am glad I have the kits, and I will use the kits. However I have begged and tagged “most” of the fasteners during disassembly and will eventually blast and coat. Like Mike said, it needs to be something you enjoy and I have most the stuff needed to phosphate and oil, zinc plate, dichromate, etc.

Hopefully this site will still be active when I get around to reassembly, as there are a handful of fasteners and brackets that I neglected to log or just plain fell off the car. As has been stressed in other threads, label EVERYTHING you take off, and do it immediately. You will forget where something came from whether you believe it or not.

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yeah but now you have 94 extra bolts. I accumulated so much extra crap while restoring my car my wife thought I was going into the parts business.
That I can agree with I have the attack, the barn, the shop, the basement and two sheds full of parts and crap that go with the mustangs the mrs wants to kill me!

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Funny at the start I had thought of going that route too but since I worked on the road for 2 weeks every month I didn't want to waste my build time cleaning rusty bolts.
Ditto my time and money is better spent elsewhere then in a rock tumbler!

·
Registered
35,267 Posts
AMK sources, in many applications, the original supplier to Ford. Can't get any better than that. Small problem if you are doing a "correct" restoration: watch for the assembly plant differences. Some times the markings on the bolt heads are not what that assembly plant used.
Otherwise, simply the best stuff to use.
True. AMK does not advertise that. Sometimes, when they contact these suppliers, they are able to purchase NOS stock from the period. Since there's no way to track this, they don't bring it up.

Ford used multiple suppliers, so there's no way to be certain what would go on a specific car. Even mixed markings on a particular car were possible, as the bins were refilled.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts