Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
...I just ride motorcycles. Mostly alone...
Well said brother - me, too. For me, it's really just a form of transportation, and a darn good one in SoCal where you can lane split to skip to the front of the traffic light while passing up 50 cagers sitting in traffic texting on their cell phones taking an hour+ to go 8 miles. I wear an ol' leather "biker" jacket that's been my riding jacket for 20+ years because it's as solid and heavy as a tank, and I wear a full face (modular) helmet when using the bike for commuting because, well, of those cagers texting on their cell phones...

To the OP - I say buy the bike, or tell your buddy he's got a buyer on this forum for it! :pirate:

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
My favorite Harley. 09 Electra Glide Standard, matte black, RK laced wheels, lots of chrome, fishtails, 103 kit. When I bought it my wife thought it was ugly, by the time I was done with it, she was impressed.

My second favorite bike was a 2014 Indian, rode like a caddy.

Im currently riding a 1999 Shadow Ace Tourer. A bit under powered, but a classy looking ride.

Fishtails on everything I ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
594 Posts
Well let's put it this way, if I don't wear a Toyota Camry shirt how will people know I drive such a sweet machine?
Hahahahaha!! Now that’s funny.

But honestly Camry is Americas most reliable vehicle, so why not show that pride and make sure everyone around you knows?!

Rode a rented ‘14 Ultra Glide. Damn it was an awesome bike. Not $29k awesome, but I was really impressed and made me want one. One day I’ll get it. And ride alone.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Unfortunately the bike sits more than anything, but it takes minimal care and feeding...
I agree! As much as I'd love to be the true lifestyle biker, riding around wherever the road takes me as much as possible, sleeping on a serape blanket by a fire all Summer, face burnt from wind, sun and dust, hands black from wrenching... wait, no I don't actually want that. I like showers and my king size bed with clean sheets.

I think the folly of a lot of us guys who have to deal with real life most of the time is thinking that because we aren't on the open road 24/7 we need to sell our motorcycles. I've fallen for it too. I've now come to sort of an understanding that it's there when I need it and not inconveniencing me too much when I don't. I've learned to stop feeling bad about not putting 12k miles on my motorcycle(s) each year.

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
Lane splitting.
Sorry, but that's the stupidest thing ever. The way it's generally done here is why there's two
types of motorcycle riders...... those that have been in an accident and those that are going to be
in an accident.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Here in Florida, Harley’s are nothing special. Everybody’s got one. And they cruise with their “packs” on Saturdays and Sundays.
There’s a HD shop on every street corner (not really but it seems that way).
There’s biketoberfest, bike week, bike this and bike that.

I’m not interested in buying a motorcycle. But if I were, I’d get a Triumph. 😉

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've ridden mostly dirt bikes since '72 and still have a couple. I've had a few road bikes including a '66 Yamaha 100cc TwinJet and a '79 SR500. I recently traded my '02 YZF-R6 for an '18 FJR1300. Note that all my road bikes have foot positions directly under the rider like a dirt-bike. When I ride my buddies HD or cruiser with the forward foot placement, I feel like I lack control. I like having my feet under me so I can stand on the pegs and hug the tank when going over bumps or hard into corners. The cruiser riding experience seems detached and unstable just sitting there on my duff. On the other hand, they sure are comfy on a smooth straight stretch of road.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sold the Road Sofa today. My wife was more sad to see it go than I was. We got 14 good years and a lot of memories out of that bike, and the old guy who bought it will probably put another 50K miles on it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Lost my brother and few friends to the harley thing. I dont dislike the bikes just what it does to people. Personally there performance is abysmal when compared to other bikes. I believe thats why harley riders must only speak in special groups, kind of like the special Olympics.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I cut my teeth at 17 on Indians, old Chiefs and Scouts. The pic below was my favorite, it started as a full dresser but morphed as I got into high school and beyond. I was about 25 when this photo was taken, it was a pic of the house and by the time it was zoomed in you can barely see the bike but its the only shot I have left of my custom Indian. That bike destroyed my back but damn, I rode the crap out of it across Southern California of the 70s and 80 and up to Sonoma county and the Marin headlands north of SF. IT was the fastest bike in my area till the Honda 750 debuted. 80 cu inch with a Indian's racing Bonneville kit, cams and carb, it handled like a dream and rode like a buckboard. These were the daze when you drove a custom, you built it with innovation and parts from old cars or whatever you could find. It said something about you and frankly, it took a "real man" to start one ;o)

I don't mind the Harley douches except when they go crazy on the pipes and feel the need to overcompensate for their "inadequacies" by revving the crap out of them screaming to everyone "look at me, I'm a sad douche". On nice summer days in downtown Watkins Glen, there is a bar that opens the storefront windows letting the summer in. We play music on Sunday afternoons and the douches drive by on their store-bought-electric-start Harleys customized with catalog bolt-ons all decked out like the guy in the Village People reving the crap out of straight pipes in a downtown with 2 story buildings on either side of the street. NOBODY thinks they are cool.

I don't mind people who look like douches, I got no opinion, but when they ACT like a douche, yea, I'll get some attitude...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I prefer my 2004 Vulcan 2000. It is 2053 cc's/ 125 ci's and will flat out move. The only problem....it is very very heavy. Low speed parking lots suck...a lot!!! Nice to cruise on though. Rode to key west last fall.

Me and then my youngest son Rolling from Tamp to Key West for a couple of days. He has a Suzuki M109R Bad assed bike too.

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
I ride a “dirt Harley,” as the orange bike haters around here like to call them, since that’s what 75% of people here choose to ride. I’ve been on dirt bikes my whole life, but I’d never ride a bike on the street.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
My daily scoot. I've got skulls, wear leathers, ride whenever and wherever, and don't give 2 ****s about what others think- because I can. Like others have mentioned, there are always those asshats that ruin things for others, or give particular groups bad names, stereotypes, etc. Do what you like, and do it for you- don't sweat the jealous critics....:cheers:

Attachments

21 - 40 of 51 Posts