Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
A Honda 700 was all I ever needed. Got me to work, the beach (2 hrs) and was enjoyable for day trips. My Harley friends were always fixing their bikes.
A bad hip and old age lead to selling it to my cousin's boy. He drove a Kawasaki something (cross street/dirt) across Europe, Turkey, Georgia and into Russia, but that's an long story.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Some nice bike pics and great stories. Unfortunately my experience is rather limited and so are my stories. Here is one that fits in.
Back in the late 80s I got a hankering to ride, couldn't find a Harley in my price range but found a killer deal on a pristine 77 Honda CB750. It had been sitting in garage for years and guy had gotten the ultimatum to get rid of it so I jumped on the deal, and the bike.
Local park that I cruised occasionally usually had several large groups of bikes and the Harley and Japanese riders definitely didn't mingle.
I was living in an apartment in Dallas and on the back side of the complex lived several hard core bikers: leathers, long hair, long beards that reached down to disguise their beer guts. Rough looking crowd. Anyway one weekend I came back from a spirited ride and decided to take a slow lap around the complex to cool down. As I rounded the back of the complex on my Jap bike, I spotted my Harley riding neighbors having a cookout. There must of been 30 bikes parked and it looked like the Sons Of Anarchy get together. They spotted me and a half dozen of so of them came running out waving to flag me down. OH CRAP!
As I rolled to a stop, they surrounded me and slammed me with questions and remarks, "What year is that?" "That looks just like the bike I started out with" "Man that thing is in great shape" etc etc. Ended up inviting me to join them in some beer and burgers.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Lane splitting.
Sorry, but that's the stupidest thing ever.
Haters just gonna hate... :shrug:

To the OP - Did you buy it yet?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Pic of the RD just for fun.
Lovely bike.

I had an RD350LC in the past. My first bike after passing my test. I thought it was a bit slow at first until the engine hit the powerband. I love 2 strokes.

I am currently rebuilding an RD500LC at the moment. I have never ridden it. I can't wait to see what the 2 stroke V4 goes like.

I think the liquid cooled RD's are called RZ's in other countries.

And I have an FZ750 as my everyday bike which is great fun.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Haters just gonna hate... :shrug:

To the OP - Did you buy it yet?
Still on the fence but these stories have been entertaining. I definitely don't NEED it.... I've had a few guys come look at it and throw some low all offers on it, but the more I'm hearing from you all, those offers are becoming more realistic.

I mean, $10k could get me a 4-link and new stroker motor for the mustang....

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I say ride whatever tickles your fancy. I personally have ridden Triumphs for most of my adult life and I happen to think they are better now than ever. Their new bikes, particularly those with the new 1,200 CC engine are nothing short of fantastic bikes. I own a 2016 Thruxton R and for me anyways it's the perfect motorcycle. Classic looks, modern performance, and can still handle loooooooong several thousand mile trips.

With just a set of bags it handled a 2,000+ mile trip from SoCal to Oregon and back with my buddies 2 years ago. Perfectly comfortable, and could still shred the pirellis when things got twisty.

and here's my last one, all prepped up for a tack session at willow springs

I was way out powered by the sport bikes in my group, but the old girl got a ton of love from everyone. And surprised more than a few of the sportier bikes in the corners.

I guess my point is, if you haven't checked them out in a while. Triumph might be worth looking at, the new Bonnie, and it's variants are fantastic value for money. Especially used....

·
Registered
544 Posts
My problem with Hardleys is that, in my opinion, you're paying a premium for a name and image. They dont handle the way I prefer and arent terribly quick either. I had an 883 sporty for awhile and it just wasnt for me. I dont knock those who ride them although, they do seem to carry a bit of an air of pretentiousness these days. I say that cause I'm one of those cats that will wave at every other rider on the road when I'm on my bike. I get very few respondent waves back from the HD riders...bums me out.

I'm also a 'built not bought' kinda guy...here's my highly modified 78 CB750SS.

Its a daily rider...for now.

·
Administrator
19,620 Posts
I'm more of a bone stock kind of guy.

As you can see, none of these vehicles are modified in the slightest. Yep.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I grew up around Harleys. Built several with my dad when I was a kid, including the bike he has now that's gathering dust in the garage. This time every year, I get the itch to buy one. And then I'm reminded that it's super dangerous and a dumb idea for this point in my life (mainly reminded by everyone around me). Maybe one day I'll have one...maybe not, BUT if I ever buy a street bike, it'll be a Harley.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Harley? Is that the clothing company that started making motorcycles? Just kidding.

My brother is hard core HD, I give him crap all the time. Even his underoos are HD brand. His current rig is sweet as hell though - can't recall name, not really into them. He lives the part, even worked at a dealership for a while.

I grew up on dirt bikes and had the street bike itch for a while but my Dad getting creamed by some teenager running a red light cured me of that. Poor guy has had numerous surgeries and still doesn't walk right 15 years later.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts