Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done pulling the Fluidampner off my 289 along with my March underdrive pulley's. I'm going back to the stock balancer and pulley config.
My dilema is after the change I checked the timing. It's reading way off around 6-8 degrees ATDC.
The balancer is new. Anyone have any problems with these things being mismarked?
The only way I can see to verify is pull it back off and compare to the original. UGHH!

Thx

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
While it is possible for that to occur, it is more likely that the timing band on the previous dampner slipped, causing a wrong reading.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
You can check this balancer on the car. You will need a piston stop. Take all the plugs out of the engine and install the piston stop in number 1 spark plug hole. Now make sure when you rotate the engine over you do this by hand and not the starter. Turn the engine one way until you hit the piston stop. Put a mark on the balancer at your pointer. Now turn the engine over the other way until you hit the piston stop again. Make another mark. Measure the distance between the 2 marks divide it in half and that will be true zero on your balancer. Good Luck

69 Mach 1 427 Windsor

1 - 5 of 5 Posts